Therapy ferrets

Hi,

Have you guys ever heard of therapy ferrets? I'm just curious. Are my two hobs the only ones or is there more somewhere?

Para is my breeding hob, a 3 year old albino and Domovoi is his son, implanted, 2 year old black sable. They were tested as therapy animals last week and passed the test with flying colours.

post-71402-0-16680200-1352273577.jpg

Don't be fooled thou! They are skilled hunters with good instincts, but they are still kind enough for kids and elderly to handle. They won't bite and they sleep in bed with me (spoiled rotten, I know). Ferrets seem to inherit temper strongly, so I'm working on breeding myself a good working stock, with good handling properties. Here they are more pets than working animals, but I would like to tip the scale just a bit more to working side. My third hob is a hybrid, but he has also inherited his grandfather Para's temperament.

More of my boys can be red here: http://www.athenenocturna.com/Bonsaiahma.html

I would imagine handling a well handled ferret is very therapeutic to some when they get past the initial fear, my daughter as taken her ferret to school on many occasions and apart from the odd one or two complaining of the smell all the kids love them.

Out of interest how does a ferret qualify to become a therapy animal?

They had similar tests than dogs and cats. They tested handling, reaction to sudden sounds, new people, other animals and of course: do they bite. Para and Domovoi have grown up with cats and dogs in the house, so they ignore other animals, or try to play with them. They are aware, but not afraid of sounds if they are being held. They trust almost blindly on the people handling them, but they don't like to be taken too far away from me. They have the habit of running back if taken out of sight. They don't bite anyone, no matter how badly they are held, they just grab on with their claws if even that. Only thing I haven't been able to teach them not to do is steal socks from feet. That is the only time they may nick at you, when they try to grab the sock and run.

What you have described is basically a well handled, well looked after ferret. Mine wont bite and can be handled by anyone, only difference is they dont go in the house and would go for the cats if they came into contact but that just because I have never introduced them to cats (no reason to).

Being honest I dont understand the therapy thing and am struggling to comment without taking the piss

• Like 1

When you say you want to tip the scales to the working side,,,I asumme you mean to working rabbits in warrens,, Are there any parts of Finland with rabbits... I'm assuming the southern most parts,, as the north is covered in snow for a long time.

I have been to Finland,, although only for 4 days, to Santa .......up in eylass. I think it called,,,, only saw reindeer,, and squirrel footprints.. And huskys.

Always nice to have our European cuzons aboard , to hear how they do things,, welcome to the site. TOMO

Being honest I dont understand the therapy thing and am struggling to comment without taking the piss

Simple really mate, you just plonk a friendly ferret on the lap of someone who is a bit down for various reasons, or let them watch the ferret play for a bit and it takes their mind off whatever it is that's bothering them for a while. :yes:

I've spent many an hour getting the enjoyment out of watching my ferrets play about over the years in the court and in the house, I can see how it could work.. :yes::thumbs:

lapin2008: I understand you completely, but you should see the state of the ferrets we have here. People take them and think they are totally untrainable wild animals with streedcredit and exotic value. Most don't bother to train their pets not to bite, or just plain can't, for some reason or other. They are still kept inside the house and let do what they want. There are some people who take their time and properly handle their animals and are persecuted of ruining the image of these wild animals for all the other ferret owners..

TOMO: Cheers! We do have a serious rabbit problem in southern-Finland and only 5 people who know how to ferret at all! We have a handfull of working ferrets and a nation wide problem of envy. Nobody is willing to teach you, because you could get good at it..

We are obsessed with pure show breeds in all our animals and in a danger of loosing most of the true original potential of our pets, whenever they are dogs, cats or ferrets. I'm not saying that working ferrets would be healthier or anything like that, but I'm saying that I want my ferretry's kitts to have some real instinct in them and a potential to be used in the job they were originally domesticated for.

Simple really mate, you just plonk a friendly ferret on the lap of someone who is a bit down for various reasons, or let them watch the ferret play for a bit and it takes their mind off whatever it is that's bothering them for a while. :yes:

I've spent many an hour getting the enjoyment out of watching my ferrets play about over the years in the court and in the house, I can see how it could work.. :yes::thumbs:

No, I get that playing with a ferret is enjoyable and relaxing, same stroking a dog, listening to whale music, taking a windy walk along a beach etc etc...

I just dont get how it goes from being something enjoyable that someone does to relax/take their mind off, to being an actual therapy type service. Surely in that case anything enjoyable could be repackaged as a therapeutic service. eg laying in a hammock listening to the sound of the sea.

AtheneNocturna: Lots of the ferrets over here are treated in a far from ideal way, they cost very little so some people treat them as very disposable. If you are wanting to get into ferreting I would just start trying for yourself, you probbaly wont need someone local to teach you. The ferrets even if from pet back grounds should mostly pick it up soon enough and I am sure you will get enough tips etc on here to be able to have a bash. Good luck with it

• Like 2

I'm not even going to tell you guys what a well bred ferrets cost in here, but If anyone would offer you one with that price, you would either laugh your asses off, or shoot the poor salesman to euthanize him, because he is clearly suffering from some horrid mental illness.

Looks like I need to send my cv to the finish government , and offer my services at an extortionate rate,,,,lol. Fly me over for a few week and ile show you some ferreting. ;)

It'll be like the Dales in a year or two. :laugh:

Jesus,,, every fecker on Ryan air,, 10 kilo of hand luggage ,, nets spade locator........

• Like 2

I'm not even going to tell you guys what a well bred ferrets cost in here, but If anyone would offer you one with that price, you would either laugh your asses off, or shoot the poor salesman to euthanize him, because he is clearly suffering from some horrid mental illness.

So are they expensive over there,,, same as the USA ?

Looks like I need to send my cv to the finish government , and offer my services at an extortionate rate,,,,lol. Fly me over for a few week and ile show you some ferreting. ;)

It'll be like the Dales in a year or two. :laugh:

Jesus,,, every fecker on Ryan air,, 10 kilo of hand luggage ,, nets spade locator........

Might have a crack myself.......see the northern lights while I'm out there. :D