Looking for a lurcher (and a jill) for next spring

Hi all,

I'm interested on finding myself a nicely bred lurcher bitch for next (late)spring / summer. I'm really looking for a fast, stock- and ferret broken bitch with brains and a good recall. The breeds I'm really interested in are deerhound, greyhound and collie. The appearance, color and things like that are secondary at best. I'd love to have a irish wolfhound sized dog, but that is, as said, secondary.

I'm aiming at intelligence, good recall, good temper and enough sense to not eat my two dog friendly ferrets. The dog will be used for running, as a companion-dog and if she is good enough, for breeding. I might remind you all that there are no lurchers in Finland, so I give me you best!

Also I'm a beginner ferret breeder and I'm looking for a good standard line jill kitt from working parents and with as much info of the family tree as possible (just to make it bit easier to register her as a breeding jill in Finland). I would love nothing more than to see and learn ferreting from someone who has done it for a while.

THIS IS FOR NEXT LATE SPRING / SUMMER, so no rush!

Please, don't hesitate to contact me, if you have something in mind.

Coursing has not been banned completely and with proper permissions it is ok. Winters are cold, I give you that, but we do have greyhounds and whippets and they are just as thin coated. The problem in Finland is that we have this obsession of "pure breed" and I can't stand it. Every thing has to bee pure bred something, or it is nothing. I'm fighting to correct this and to show people that mutts are just as good.

I love sight hounds for their grace and speed, but I want also a dog that has brains and will to please and learn. I don't want just a runner, or just a sheepdog/sircus pig, when with proper breeding I can have both!

That was the plan, but I have no place for the dog until next year. I'm looking for a a pup, not an adult!

You said you were looking for a "fast, stock- and ferret broken bitch with brains and a good recall" - This suggests an adult dog to me.

No pup will come stock broken and with good recall :thumbs:

• Like 1

The size is just the only little vanity I have. I love my dogs big, anything under 50cm (19,5 inches) is a squirrel not a dog.

Wolfhound would probably be too bulky to be much use ferreting or as a general lurcher but lots of big fast dogs like deerhound crosses can also be pretty useful ferreting.

With the type of sparsely populated land in finland I bet there is some right stuff running around there that would be well worth catching! If your only going to get one dog I wouldnt limit myself to a really small dog

gareth_daniel : I realized that myself also just before you said it x) Good recall and wits you can spot from a dog quite early on, but other stuff will be left for me of course. The pup needs papers and vaccinations and so on, so it will be bit older when I come to pick it up. In that time a good breeder can spot the best suiting dog for my needs.

I'm planning on coming over to get them by car, trough Sveden and Norway. It'll be my vacation roadtrip at the same time.

Also hunting is not the only thing I do with the dog, so I would not see the size as a such a big issue. I just like bigger dogs and I don't mind that it can't outrun a pure whippet in a sprint as long as it doesn't loose to the ridgeback, I'm fine with it.

Edited by AtheneNocturna

I have a gh/gh x collie gh, good intelligence , blistering speed, looks like a gh at 29" an about 70+lbs and a bitch she can't half turn for quite a big dog. She has the deerhound temp round house with family, loyal an sleeps all day. Take her out and its a whole diffrent dog, fiery,boystress and keen lol I think the cross your looking at is a good x. This is my first.lurcher an she's been a pleasure.