JRT for beating

My little black bitch is a bit of a celebrity in the shoot caravan after the days sport. She's a cracking little dog for beating but obviously has her limitations and I'm not going to kid anyone that she's the equal of a good spaniel. When a fox is about it's my little bitch that is called for over the radio. This saturday one drive was a complete write off because of a dog fox which dropped into a drain at the end of the drive, this fox would'nt have been accounted for if not for my terrier. IMO a steady terrier deffinately has it's place on a shoot day, just be sensible and know when to put the dog on a lead....

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2

If he's biddable and can be checked in when needed...Go a head ,they can put birds out where the bigger dogs can't...the runs in the Gorse will be a pisstake to him..

If you have no confidance on his control....defeats the purpose a Tad ! nothing worse than climbing over Treefall,navigating woods ect.. with a Terrier straining at the leash ..Wanting to Join In !

Try and get a "DRY run " if possible on the ground your likely to be on..Get to know the Ground ,if you don't allready Know..Lot of folk Beat ,but don't take in the positions of earths ,likely Distractions for a Terriers . Rabbits,sheep and the like ..a minute out of control ,could give Folk Years of Banter :icon_redface:;)

• Like 1

I was thinking of keeping him on a lead most of the time, I dont want him running around causing havoc .

Think he would enjoy it apart from a few beats that have alot of Gorse.

Will it shut the f**k up on the lead though? Nobody wants to hear a dog whining all drive. Ive seen a few terriers on shoots.......all flushed game but were uncontrolable, but then again they were not bushing dogs. They done there job at the shoot though as the shoot in question was a hardwood shoot with alot of fern cover and the birds didnt really have a flushing point so they put forward a steady amount of birds. Basically the guy let them go at the start and got them at the end of the drive... :laugh:

I was thinking of keeping him on a lead most of the time, I dont want him running around causing havoc .

Will it shut the f**k up on the lead though? Nobody wants to hear a dog whining all drive. Ive seen a few terriers on shoots.......all flushed game but were uncontrolable, but then again they were not bushing dogs. They done there job at the shoot though as the shoot in question was a hardwood shoot with alot of fern cover and the birds didnt really have a flushing point so they put forward a steady amount of birds. Basically the guy let them go at the start and got them at the end of the drive... :laugh:

Lab, there's a lot of uncontrolled terriers out there! I'm not kidding anybody, my dog isn't as steady as a good gundog. But I can keep her in the line and well enough behaved for most keepers. I have no issues with well behaved terriers beating. What I hate is people that bring along their Russell and let it rag birds, yap like f**k, run on uncontrollably and generally be a pain in the arse. They have no place on a bird shoot.

• Like 1

Lab, there's a lot of uncontrolled terriers out there! I'm not kidding anybody, my dog isn't as steady as a good gundog. But I can keep her in the line and well enough behaved for most keepers. I have no issues with well behaved terriers beating. What I hate is people that bring along their Russell and let it rag birds, yap like f**k, run on uncontrollably and generally be a pain in the arse. They have no place on a bird shoot.

Mate i bet theres some terriers that would put some gundogs to shame in the beating line. I was at a woodcock day a few years back, guy let his spaniel of the lead for the first drive and got it at half 4 at night..... :toast::icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

The shoot that i was talking about where the terriers work good, well they terriers belong to the keepers son. They would be no use what so ever in a normal driven day where birds are pushed towards a flushing point. Ive seen them peg birds before and its not pretty. They are well worked underground though so you cant fault them..... :D

Wouldn't be at my shoot.... :laugh:

• Like 1

Bushing with terriers is a lot of fun, good luck with you & your terrier!!!

Bushing and Beating two different games........Both can be FUN ! ,but one is A controlled Job ,for An End RESULT ! birds on the Table ..

So a dog Under control is what's NEEDED..

Bushing you can have no amount of Uncontrolled Dogs run about in cover ,with no Direction,other than to supply FUN ! Two TOTALLY different Scenarios ;)

Took my border loads of times, she has great fun ! Straight out the van and fights anything dog thats up for it most often her litter mate sister owend by another beater.

Then on the lead filling my hands with bramble thorns. If im stupid enough to let her off she either kills all she can or comes back 20 min after the drive has finished !

Take you JR but keep on a lead and have fun but rememer she is bred to use her judgement and kill things. So don't expect her to be a Labrador.

Hope you have a good day.

• Like 1