cocker spaniels

My cocker gets bored if I take him to the same training area three times on the trot, he will pick up but just walks out for the dummy and walks back. I am running out of places to take him does anyone else have a similar problem or any ideas? By the way he is 15 months old and hasnt been on a shoot? :hmm:

have you tried him with a rabbit skin dummy, my spaniels find them irresistible and never tire of retrieving or hunting for them. varying the type of retrieves sending him for memory retrieves or blinds, chucking it into cover so he has to hunt for it or leave him off retrieves for a while just focus on his quartering then after a few days drop him the odd one into your session might spark him up. hope some of this is useful.

i add the good intensions of training my cockers for the gun and picking up but my thought was this i love bushing with a catty and ferreting. lettin the dogs catch em [when they can ] so every day my dogs are bushin or ferretin then some days now the lakes are empty i take the gun down and knock a few ducks off when i get lucky for the cockers to retrive then the day forinstance i was out walkin the cockers were there is hares and add a mornin flushin hares so my cockers dont get bored i enjoy em like that BUT HATS OFF TO PEOPLE WHO TRAIN EM PROPLY

As a trial-er of both Labs and Spaniels with out doubt Cockers or my trained cockers are totally fearless.I really cannot stress too much the fact they have hearts the size of a lions.As with all dogs training is the secret and the quality of it ( live game for example ).SPRINGERS HUNT FOR SCENT - COCKERS HUNT OR BECOME MORE STYLISH WHEN SCENT IS EVIDENT.Pray drive needs to be encouraged and can be achieved with out ( live game ).on the same ground time and time again if the correct methods are applied.But with all dog training EVERY TYPE OF GROUND AND SCENARIO NEEDS TO BE COVERED.

CHEERS.

Edited by camokev64
SPRINGERS HUNT FOR SCENT - COCKERS HUNT OR BECOME MORE STYLISH WHEN SCENT IS EVIDENT

very true my ESS would thrash a bowling green if asked with as much pace and drive as if she were in a covert, whereas my cocker only really becomes alive on scent

SPRINGERS HUNT FOR SCENT - COCKERS HUNT OR BECOME MORE STYLISH WHEN SCENT IS EVIDENT

very true my ESS would thrash a bowling green if asked with as much pace and drive as if she were in a covert, whereas my cocker only really becomes alive on scent

That is very interesting we have a show bred cocker who has been a house dog pet for 5 years of his life. Having recently got back into field sports I have swiped him off the wife now again to hopefully help me and also make his life more interesting.

I was very surprised that he has a natural hunting instinct or how much he has rather. If I say where is it boy and point him to a bit of cover he starts zig zagging about and dives in. When he picks up the scent of a rabbit say he gets very excited and starts dashing about but seems too lose the trail quite easy. Rather than holding the line and just following it like my jack russell used too. But it is early days and he shows potential just wish he wasnt so excitable though constantly squeaks and yaps and wants to get too point b as soon as

Dogs have to be taught how to follow a line,it ain`t rocket science !.squeeking could very possibly due to not suppressing the anxiety in an exciting situation from as soon as 8 weeks,also the same age goes for the need to encourage retrieving and clean delivery.

Happy training. ( you only get out what you put in ) !

Had my cocker out two nights on the trot training with rabbit skin and pheasant wing dimmies it has livened him up no end thanks Barraboy will let you no if he keeps up the good work. Camokev you said prey drive needs to be encouraged but without live game how can i do that any advice welcome its my first dog??

just in relation to cockers i have had them for the last ten years.three things i have found with them.1. they get very cute with experince.eg.a cocker will not go into cover if there is no game there.a spaniel hunts just to please you and will go into empty cover.2. you will always shoot more with a cocker because he is more thorough and has a better nose.always hunt on ground where there is game,they switch off very easily.and they dont come into their own till their 3 years old.there is an old saying about cockers.when you have a good one you have a great dog.it is so true.

• Like 1