wild boar

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always get a chuckle when Poms start talking about pig hunting. I grew up with it and still go every now on the My son just walked back in from a weekend catching pigs here in aus we use just about an

Thats not fact, thats fiction mate, Ive lived in Oz for years before moving out to UK. I can safely say that many many dogs are single handed boar stoppers, and a heck of a lot of them will go for the

Beast:   My bully/cattle dogs  

Posted Images

Is there anyone on here that would slip a single dog on this (when alive lol)

:no: You would be crazy to send in a single dog on anything that size!

A smaller one like this maybe. But never a full grown monster like that big boy ^

DSCF0067.jpg

:no: You've not read my previous posts I dont think any dog would stop a full grown wild boar, I wouldn't slip mine on one full stop. I think something with the brains of a collie\cattle dog would do best on one, aslong as it didnt got for a hold.

Is there anyone on here that would slip a single dog on this (when alive lol)

:no: You would be crazy to send in a single dog on anything that size!

A smaller one like this maybe. But never a full grown monster like that big boy ^

DSCF0067.jpg

:no: You've not read my previous posts I dont think any dog would stop a full grown wild boar, I wouldn't slip mine on one full stop. I think something with the brains of a collie\cattle dog would do best on one, aslong as it didnt got for a hold.

I did read it. :thumbs:

I was agreeing with you.

• Like 1

there is a bifferance between a wild boar and a wild pig. A huge male wild boar No dog could stop it.

You sound like a fount of knowledge mate. And I mean that in the most sarcastically genuine way.

Thing is mate, if a dog or more, gets within nipping distance of any boar/pig, especially a big one, the pig will 9/10 turn to face the music at some point. Then all a dog or dogs need to do is dance around it making a din. That pig aint going far. It may run again, but it will get stopped again. Now a strong dog on one of these beasts would deffo have to be well armoured, they can easily shred the biggest of dogs.

In the UK we only use a catch dog if the boar is wounded from a bullet, or otherwise sick or injured. To bring a swift end to suffering.

So most of the dogs we have are hunters, and though the aim is to get the boar through the waiting guns, this is nature, and they dont always play ball! We have had loads of boar bailed up(brought to bay), by single dog or the pair of dogs that were turned loose.

On an early season driven hunt, we lost a terrier and found him with our biggest male boar up against a deer fence, baying and nipping away happy as a terrier could be! We caught him up, and let old brutus run free. Good hunting

Tusker

I think there is some confusion here... If we are talking about boars( pigs ) in the UK then I would say that sticking a dog on them wouldn't be a problem. And I don't mean to put the UK boar down, iv never hunted them in the UK. But I know they don't make anywhere near the size as the ones you get throughout mainland Europe.. To be honest I didn't even know there were enough about to regularly hunt them.. Would you be using your dogs if the boars were the size of the one in the above picture GrCh posted?

EDIT: And I know you are talking about flushing boar. But I think the initial question was what kind of dog would take a boar. While a terrier could do the job on smaller pigs, I think they would struggle in the open wilderness. No fences where a boar can get pinned down, they just run until the dogs bring it down and fight. Again, I have never hunted boars in the UK... The Spanish obviously hunt them differently.

Edited by Matt3699

What do you base your knowledge on mate? The wild boar in Spain are among the smallest Ive seen.

And to answer your question, of course I work my dogs on big boar. We have taken several trophy boar, comparable to the pictured boar. Ive seen bigger.( That is a classic trophy picture with the dude sat well back to super impose the size of the animal!) You call UK boar PIGS what do you mean? That they are not big? Wrong mate, there have been many trophy specimens taken in the UK

My management plan is always striving to keep the best stock on our land, we try to take out the smaller specimens, we want healthy, big strong boar. Bigger the better for me as Im catering for paying guns.

On catching boar, the size of the boar doesnt always determine the ease of taking! But sure big tusks can do a lot of damage to any dog that gets hold.

Remember, my dogs that are hunting the boar are finders and bayers/bailers. I only use catch dogs on boar that are wounded, and these dogs are fully protected. I would NEVER allow a catch dog to hold a boar that size without wearing full protection kit.

Im doing my best here to let you know how we operate, but Im not getting drawn into an argument. So Im going to say Good night folks. If my plans go forward, I will be making boar hunting available for anyone who wants to experience it. I have 2 venues in the UK. One has a growing population, one is poorly stocked but is on the edge of a decent sized population, so give that a year or two.

Good hunting

Tusker

• Like 1

My intentions were not to start an argument. I'm genuinely interested.

I base my knowledge on few days out with the Spanish using Spanish Bulldogs. I'm far from an expert. They use the dogs to catch, fight and eventually pin down the boar. Once the energy levels arte enough someone would then run in with a small knife and pop it under the throat. Job done. I have seen the power of these animals and when they are throwing mastif like dogs around like rag dolls and putting wounds that would kill a dog unless stitched up there and then.

This is why I think we got our wires crossed. I thought this was the style of hunting we were talking about. But we are talking about flushing to gun, where the dog dosent actually engage n physical contact most of the time.

Again, no disrespect towards you intended.

there is a bifferance between a wild boar and a wild pig. A huge male wild boar No dog could stop it.

You sound like a fount of knowledge mate. And I mean that in the most sarcastically genuine way.

Thing is mate, if a dog or more, gets within nipping distance of any boar/pig, especially a big one, the pig will 9/10 turn to face the music at some point. Then all a dog or dogs need to do is dance around it making a din. That pig aint going far. It may run again, but it will get stopped again. Now a strong dog on one of these beasts would deffo have to be well armoured, they can easily shred the biggest of dogs.

In the UK we only use a catch dog if the boar is wounded from a bullet, or otherwise sick or injured. To bring a swift end to suffering.

So most of the dogs we have are hunters, and though the aim is to get the boar through the waiting guns, this is nature, and they dont always play ball! We have had loads of boar bailed up(brought to bay), by single dog or the pair of dogs that were turned loose.

On an early season driven hunt, we lost a terrier and found him with our biggest male boar up against a deer fence, baying and nipping away happy as a terrier could be! We caught him up, and let old brutus run free. Good hunting

Tusker

Crack on pal, good luck to you. :thumbs:

I base my knowledge on few days out with the Spanish using Spanish Bulldogs. I'm far from an expert. They use the dogs to catch, fight and eventually pin down the boar. Once the energy levels arte enough someone would then run in with a small knife and pop it under the throat. Job done. I have seen the power of these animals and when they are throwing mastif like dogs around like rag dolls and putting wounds that would kill a dog unless stitched up there and then.

This is why I think we got our wires crossed. I thought this was the style of hunting we were talking about. But we are talking about flushing to gun, where the dog dosent actually engage n physical contact most of the time.

In australia the boars do the same thing, they throw the dogs around like ragdolls, everyone over here tries to get the biggest swine they can and everyone wanting that boar that's over 100kg, they put protection on their dogs to stop these wounds, yet the dogs will still get them, and they don't pin the boar down they just hold it in the spot for the hunter to finish it off with a knife

• Like 1

If you have ever handled even domestic pigs you will know how powerful and awkward to deal with. Even our sows who weigh in at around 60kg have sent me flying when I have had to grapple them for treatment purposes, and i weigh in at not shy of 18 stone. So even a 10 stone plus mastif will go flying when its trying to grip a boar thats fighting to survive.