Agouti longnet twine

sean962

you dont want to use spun poly for longnets tho its a bit heavy, its ok for short gate nets maybe but nothing over thats my opinion atb shaba

It might not be any good for night time stealthing. But, I thought it was awsome as a quickset on magnum poles, for lazy ferreting. Drops and picks up like a dream. After using one a few weeks back, Ive started making my own I liked them that much. Ive been told Nigel does a thinner spun poly for longnets?

you dont want to use spun poly for longnets tho its a bit heavy, its ok for short gate nets maybe but nothing over thats my opinion atb shaba

The poly Agouti sells for long nets is thinner than the ordinary poly used for purse nets

no prob with weight for longnets infact knitted a few with it and knitting a 25 yard one now

Sam

It might not be any good for night time stealthing. But, I thought it was awsome as a quickset on magnum poles, for lazy ferreting. Drops and picks up like a dream. After using one a few weeks back, Ive started making my own I liked them that much. Ive been told Nigel does a thinner spun poly for longnets?

I reckon I'll have a go as well. How long do you reckon it would take to knit a 25 metre model?

Edited by steamingutpiles

I reckon I'll have a go as well. How long do you reckon it would take to knit a 25 metre model?

Depending how fast you can knit a row properly so that there are not slipping knots say as an example it takes you 2 minutes to knit a row of 14 meshes and with a 4.25" mesh there are 34 rows to a rigged yard of netting so that would equate to each yard of net taking you 1hr 8 minutes so a 25 yard net would take 28hrs 20 minutes constant knitting to complete the body of the net.

To be honest, don't even think about how long it will take you. Just knit when you feel like it and enjoy it. Don't be afraid to put the net down and leave it for a couple of days, you will find that you will knit better when you go back to it. I have made dozens of 50 yard nets, some days I will do 5 or 6 yards then will not touch it for a week or so. I find that if I feel like it is getting a chore I leave it alone.

Dont be afraid to do short bursts of 10 minutes or so do a couple of rows, have a cup of something then do another couple of rows, they all mount up. Remember though the net will not be worth anything if the knots are slipping, it really is a matter of getting the knots right over speed.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

Some sound advice again TC. Ive got my longnet on a hook behind the front room curtain, next to the tv. Its out of sight, but takes two seconds to crack on with a bit more when I fancy it. You get more done when you can pick it up and put it down quickly. I cant walk through the front room without doing a quick row now.

supn poly only needs a single knot but i just do a double to be safe :thumbs:

I always double knotted my nets from when i was a kid, would have been using hemp then. A couple of years ago i decided to try the spun poly so i bought some from Nigel which is good stuff. I saw a video of Nigel making nets and he was using a different knot, cant remember what he called it but i tried using it and now use it all the time, it is like a double knot but tied like a single if that makes any sense.

lifelong cumbrian' timestamp='1351613341' post='2876465']

='theferreter' timestamp='1350684291' post='2860479']

supn poly only needs a single knot but i just do a double to be safe :thumbs:

I always double knotted my nets from when i was a kid, would have been using hemp then. A couple of years ago i decided to try the spun poly so i bought some from Nigel which is good stuff. I saw a video of Nigel making nets and he was using a different knot, cant remember what he called it but i tried using it and now use it all the time, it is like a double knot but tied like a single if that makes any sense.

Think its called a carrick bend or knot ?.