Kelpie x greyhound, pictures and opinions on this cross

Mine goes mental when I let her out the kennel/box up the ferrets/pick up the lamp she screams and almost talks to me but other than that she doesn't make a sound

Both of mine do it mate took my shotty and the ferrets out yesterday both of mine were howling and whining. Carnt blame em for bieng keen eh?

i was out shooting today with taz the kelpiex.She scent trailed a gang of goats for a hell of a distance,walking ahead of me by 40 yards, and when she came across the bunch she sits down.I then know she can see them,Gun ready and 2 shot today.She was never trained as such,just picked up this habit of her own accord/She understands once the herd are there its my job to knock em over.She doesnt run in either even if the goat does a runner after the shot.she just sits and studys the direction they head,then i give the word and shes off to trail them to where they fall.Shes also very good at the ferrets BUT she has become a bit voracious on the bunnys even if they are in the net.I need to start over with the net work.Ive shot rabbits with the 22 with her and she doesnt run in after the shot either with them.She retrieves all,over gates fences or whatever.I couldnt see myself without her being honest.

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

even runing a hare isnt beyond her.I had a few 1st x collies in my time and they were very enjoyable to keep also but I think Taz is a step above and beyond the lot of them,maybe I just got lucky.

• Like 2

I have a ten month old kelpie cross and is a very mature dog and extremely game dog. Im new to this sport but id say compared to all the other dogs kept by mates mine really does seem to be easier to handle just extremely hard to keep it away from hunting squirels and bushing rabbits. he was bred out of dave slieghts dogs. if u ask around on here im sure someone can put you in touch with him hes probably going to be a very reliable source of information.

My youngest kelpie yaps occasionaly on rabbit and also barks when she's treed a squirrel. The eldest gives a single bark when he's treed a squirrel and the middle bitch is completely silent.

Incidentally, much as a hate to disagree with Bird: the kelpie is not a strain of border collie as the kelpie came into being before the border collie. In fact, I think I'm right in saying that a standard for the border collie was actually first drawn up in Australia. However, despite what some breeders say, the present day kelpie does include regular crossing of fresh collie blood.

Although I personally prefer the kelpies I own to the collies I've known I'd still agree with Bird in that a decent first cross collie greyhound is just as likely to provide you with what you're after.

This is the kelpie cross I bred last year, apparently taking all game, I haven't seen it work yet though.

post-62934-0-41123600-1351817033_thumb.jpg

It's a nice looking thing mate :victory: but I'm going down the cattle dog route still :laugh:

Don't blame you bear apparently this thing barks like a c*nt when penned

• Like 1