LONGNETS

Firstly, like to thank everyone for their advice on my post about hedges.

A few people mentioned long nets and by the sounds of it they will be ideal for the land I am ferreting.

So went ahead and researched and found a good deal on eBay -

2 x 50yds quick set

1 x 18ft foot gate net

1 free fox call

£129.99

The nets arrived today so went out on the land my family own for some practice of laying them out and putting them away before this weekend. On first looks they look brilliant, build quality is impeccable and came very well organised. Shoutout to FieldSportsUK for brilliant service on eBay. Laid them out very easy and packed away neatly easily.

Can't wait to get out with the long nets this weekend, is there any tips anybody can give me for the long nets this weekend, I am ferreting a mixture of hedges and open field burrows?

Thanks again - I will post pictures of my success... hopefully!

Firstly, like to thank everyone for their advice on my post about hedges.

A few people mentioned long nets and by the sounds of it they will be ideal for the land I am ferreting.

So went ahead and researched and found a good deal on eBay -

2 x 50yds quick set

1 x 18ft foot gate net

1 free fox call

£129.99

The nets arrived today so went out on the land my family own for some practice of laying them out and putting them away before this weekend. On first looks they look brilliant, build quality is impeccable and came very well organised. Shoutout to FieldSportsUK for brilliant service on eBay. Laid them out very easy and packed away neatly easily.

Can't wait to get out with the long nets this weekend, is there any tips anybody can give me for the long nets this weekend, I am ferreting a mixture of hedges and open field burrows?

Thanks again - I will post pictures of my success... hopefully!

Tip don't run for the rabbit before it's hit the net

: ) wait till it's hit it lol

• Like 1

Tip don't run for the rabbit before it's hit the net

: ) wait till it's hit it lol

Spot on.

Also if you can, approach the rabbit from behind the net not from the side or infront. That way you will push the rabbit into the net.

TC

your nets sound cheep ,hope they work well for you .

only advice i would give is take a few tent pegs with you, so you get your bottom running line to the floor (were the grounds uneven ).

then just do a set of burrows at a time and run the net the whole way around the area until you get back to were you started ,just because you have 2 x50 yd longnets doesnt mean you have to always use both ,if your doing hedge rows on your own its donkey work, if you try and do 50 yds each side on your own (i know ive tried it ,lol).

always TAKE EVERY BIT OF DEBRIS out of your net when putting it back into your basket no matter how long it takes ,if you dont it will just feck your day up and it could take hours to reset the net (if you dont end up chucking it in the bin).

after a week or two you will soon get the hang of things ,good luck jim .

ive also included a few pics of how i set my nets around different burrows hope this helps

in this picture the net has been put around a burrow in an open field the net goes right around the burrows until it joins where i started, also notice the bottom of the net is pulled out in the direction the rabbit is to run so it gets tangled easier

2011-11-20131236-1.jpg

notice in this picture the net has been passed back through the hedgerow and a small section is only getting ferreted at one time rather than putting 2 50yd long nets along the hedgerow making things easier for me.

2011-11-05112802.jpg

• Like 1

If it's windy, all the bagging will bunch up at one end (like below), just try and spread it out. Otherwise they'll be bouncing off.

054.jpg

There's a bit more of an art to setting a long net out than some think though, such as the placment stop nets.

• Like 1