more hassle for northern terrier men

NI Assembly bans docking of dogs' tails

_63499851_rottweiler.jpgThe minister described tail-docking as a hideous practice

Docking of dogs' tails will be banned in Northern Ireland from 1 January 2013, Agriculture Minister Michelle O'Neill has said.

Many pedigree dog breeders cut pups' tails when they are a few days old for cosmetic reasons.

However, anyone convicted of tail-docking could face two years imprisonment and an unlimited fine.

Exemptions are made for some working dogs and in emergencies where a dog's life may be in danger.

Ms O'Neill said: "The introduction of this final inactivated provision in the Welfare of Animals Act 2011 will ban the hideous practice of tail docking of dogs."

She said the law permitting exemptions would also come into operation on 1 January.

'Cosmetic docking'

"These new regulations set out the strict conditions which must be met to allow certain breeds of dogs, of no more than five days of age, to have their tails docked by a veterinary surgeon," she said.

"The controls will also ensure that this exemption is not abused and prevent the cosmetic docking of dogs by the back door."

The ban also makes it an offence to take a dog outside Northern Ireland to have its tail docked.

The assembly's move meant that all UK legislation has now been passed.

Docking was banned in England from 6 April 2007 and in Wales from 28 March 2007 but with exemptions from the ban for certain working dogs, and for medical treatment.

A total ban in Scotland took effect from 30 April 2007.

Working ability

There is also a ban on the showing of dogs docked after the introduction of the ban.

However, this ban does not apply to dogs shown for the purpose of demonstrating their working ability.

The exemption for working dogs allows a dog that is likely to perform certain specified types of work to have its tail docked by a veterinary surgeon.

The dog will have to be less than five days old and the veterinary surgeon will have to certify that he or she has seen specified evidence that the dog is likely to work in specified areas.

Puppies from certain working dogs may be docked if evidence is provided to the vet that it is likely to be worked in connection with law enforcement, activities of Her Majesty's Armed Forces, emergency rescue, lawful pest control, or the lawful shooting of animals.

Although the procedure is the same, the list of dogs which can be docked differs between England and Wales.

• Like 1

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before you start typing let your empty brain engage you muppet!! I had to pet out the best spaniel I ever owned due to it having a un docked tail, I'd like to see you watch a dog of yours going out i

wind your neck in ya fanny

also hear theres a two year jail sentence for anyone caught docking tails , quite unreal when peados , rapists ,muggers what have ya, get a slap on the wrist more times than enough

Posted Images

No I am a terrier man and I have probably seen more work than you have ever seen Answer me this how would it affect the dogs working ability? my terrier has a long tail it does not stop or hinder him. But to be honest I for one, thought dogs looked better with they tails docked but that all

No I am a terrier man and I have probably seen more work than you have ever seen Answer me this how would it affect the dogs working ability? my terrier has a long tail it does not stop or hinder him. But to be honest I for one, thought dogs looked better with they tails docked but that all

Most times it wasent for show.but to prevent injury. :thumbs:

• Like 2

I my option this a barbaric practise it does not effect the working ability of the dogs and should be banned completely

Before you start typing let your empty brain engage you muppet!! I had to pet out the best spaniel I ever owned due to it having a un docked tail, I'd like to see you watch a dog of yours going out its mind from the day in day out discomfort of the damage caused during work.. Docking a two day old pup takes less than 30 seconds and if done correctly all you will get from a pup is a single yip, that to me is more than acceptable..

Now go blow some hot air up your own arse somewhere else!! "iv seen more work than you've ever seen" lol lol lol a sure sign of someone that's don't feck all..

:clapper: :clapper: