squirrel feeder

That's a brilliant method Paul.

I also tend to bait for squirrels but simply place a good dollop of peanut butter on a low branch.

I add barley or corn to the peanut butter.

Squigs are creatures of habit and more often than not use the same trees and branches when passing through woods and copses so this too can be an effective method for bringing them in when shooting.

I have two Weihrauchs..............the HW97K .22 and the HW80 .177.

The 97K is heavy but very accurate when the scopes are zero'd properly .

I zero to approx' 25yds. I had an Air arms TX200 and this came a very close second as a good springer hunting rifle.

I eat the squirrels I shoot.

Jointed and shallow fried in olive oil with garlic and a pinch of mixed dried herbs.....delicious, also the flesh added to rabbit stews and curries ( vindaloo strength ! ).............cracking.

The tails go to my son in law who ties his own flies for trout fishing.

Good post Bushing Lad.

All the best, Phill.K.

made a new feeder today designed to stop all the little birds getting all the nuts but i think the gap might be a bit big but i can sort that if that is the case.

not the best craftmanship but it does the job as when i had put it up i waited 10 mins and a squirrel came along and started munching straight away. :thumbs:

Edited by bushing lad
  • 2 weeks later...

Had another one last Saturday and two more on the Sunday. Been a week this Sunday and not seen one squirrel around anywhere. Looks like the birds nests might not get such a bashing next spring at this rate. We had lots of birds nests in the hedges, my wife spots them, and they all lost their eggs to squirrels or corvids. You could see the broken shells by the nests or on the floor next to the hedges. I have noticed a hell of a lot of Jays around our area this year, they have been coming to the feeder as well so might get some of them.

• 3 years later...

Follow the way of the Squirrel Hunter Channel, you will learn a lot and improve your results. I also use a trail cam to monitor when they visit the hopper. A handy hide 15-20 yards away, coffee, biscuits a good seat, patience and bingo job done. Big sacks of whole maize from local farm store pretty cheap and works well once the natural food sources run low.

• 2 months later...

Been out at one of my hoppers this morning. Shot one after about forty minutes then had a wait of about a half an hour, number two arrives, bang down it goes. Great, good start. Then things go a bit quiet. Along comes Mr Pheasant for a free feed from the spilt maize on the ground. Always nice to see. Then I spotted a blob of russet, guess what? Mr Fox is sizing up our feathered friend. He leaps out runs a bit and realises there is a dead squirrel in front of him. Not going to say no to a free meal he does not have to chase, so he picks up squirrel number one turns around and clears off. Mr Pheasant can't believe his luck, jumps up the nearest tree and voices his opinion. So, it took me couple of minutes to process all this. Low and behold our red mate suddenly appears again nicks the second squirrel and clears off. Saw him a couple more times at distance in the morning. Shot another three squirrels, so an interesting and productive morning.

• Like 1