Sighthounds

Before i start this is not a dig at any breed of dog just something that popped into my head that i thought would start a good topic !

The whippet as a breed has had a surge recently as probably one of the most talked about and used breeds recently but i got to thinking is the greyhound any different really to a whippet ?

People have been tricked into thinking that greyhounds are intractible simpletons by certain authors and fed stories of their poor stamina lack of nose and poor feet , but are we being blind to the fact we have a animal that is the result of thousands of years breeding and could given the chance be a very good working animal capable of most tasks of a lurcher out in the field ?

Yes they will get injured occasionally due to their phenominal speed sometimes , maybe they aint as sharp witted as a collie cross but just think about it for a minute , even with the few shorcomings they do have they are still the base of lurchers and a damn fine animal that maybe we should try and continue to evolve to our hunting needs .

greys are fine without ndoudt we wooldnt have the lurchers we have today without them , but;; they are generally heavly muscled and fast twitch muscles for accelaration , and do suffer with lactic acid build up .and generally not desighned for stamina .thats why we cross them !!! .there will allways be exeptions ,if you find one with both you may well have a winner in the field ;)

greys are fine without ndoudt we wooldnt have the lurchers we have today without them , but;; they are generally heavly muscled and fast twitch muscles for accelaration , and do suffer with lactic acid build up .and generally not desighned for stamina .thats why we cross them !!! .there will allways be exeptions ,if you find one with both you may well have a winner in the field ;)

Thats my point maybe if we strove to breed this sort of grey maybe we would have a even better lurcher !

Thats my point maybe if we strove to breed this sort of grey maybe we would have a even better lurcher !

like what ? without a cross it is what it is!!!

Imo if a grey was brought up like a lurcher, got used to fences etc ..... Genral field knowledge why carnt they be a good companion in the field, stamina wise, if the dog is jogged and ran regular then the dogs stamina will improve, once the dog has a season under its belt I'm guessing that it would realise that it doesn't need to run flat out to catch its intended quarry, and pace it's self.

In the lurcher game folk want dogs from tested parents yet how many of these Grey's are actualy tested in the field ? My guess is not, most will be ex track dogs. Just my opinion tho

Atb jcm

Imo if a grey was brought up like a lurcher, got used to fences etc ..... Genral field knowledge why carnt they be a good companion in the field, stamina wise, if the dog is jogged and ran regular then the dogs stamina will improve, once the dog has a season under its belt I'm guessing that it would realise that it doesn't need to run flat out to catch its intended quarry, and pace it's self.

In the lurcher game folk want dogs from tested parents yet how many of these Grey's are actualy tested in the field ? My guess is not, most will be ex track dogs. Just my opinion tho

Atb jcm

True mate, my mate races some of mine but my main/ best 2 are just pure workers as I can't be bothered with the track nights any more :thumbs:

i think if greyhounds would have made better working dogs people wouldnt be breeding lurchers in the first place , i raced greyhounds and they were a nightmare to keep sound even running around a sand track ,most greyhounds are past thier best or retired by the time thier 4 yrs old (and probably 75% dont even see this age). most only race once or twice a week and then need a week to recover as they nearly always come off the track exhausted ,i think the biggest downfall for a greyhound in the field would be its speed as the greyhound has been bred to get from A TO B in the quickest time possible ,they have a great preydrive and wernt bred to be thinking dogs .

im not knocking the greyhound as a breed of dog as the are unrivaled as a racing dog ,and have thier place in the breeding of good lurchers .as a working dog they wouldnt be a choice of mine ,but i would agree that if brought up as a lurcher the would do far better than an ex track dog .they would be more than capable of taking most game and a fully fit greyhound is a extremley powerful animal.

if i had to sum up a greyhound i would say they would lack stamina ,brains,and would be too fragile for any extream hunter or anyone who spends hours out lamping .but having said that your always going to get exceptions to the rule but i should imagin they are few and far between ....jim

• Like 1