Idaho, USA

Guest Haggler

Wonderful pictures as always, Haggler, but of course the one I like best is of that poor old man having to get a hand up off the spoil mound. Poor thing :D The dog looks to be in fine fettle too; clearly not up to the task of getting wrecked. I know you'll get it right someday ;)

P

pburns are you insinuating that perhaps the photos and story are not an honest account of a real badger hunt here in the states?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Haggler
Haggler, I agree the terrier is a nice one.

Thanks, I can't take credit for him though. He was bred by DF and given to me at 8 weeks, now a little over 4 years ago. Two years ago JP gave me a nice black bitch pup to breed him to, she was also around 8 weeks at the time. There is a lot of Nutall and Mason stuff in the states but I wanted to keep true to his lines.

Haggler

Guest Haggler
Looks amazing out there Haggler! Wish we could do that here.

It is big country and pretty wild. They run hounds on mountain lions in the winter right where we were digging the badgers, usually treeing them and only shooting the toms. Like any place you go though you need permission and that was all taken care of by my nephew, who lives out there. We tossed all the digging tools and the four terriers in his pickup with Idaho plates. If they had seen us out there with my California plates we would have been run off! :yes:

People are as territorial as the animals they hunt.

Haggler

Guest Haggler
great pictures and post

nice looking terrier

Thanks, It isn't something I take for granted anymore after digging over there on your side of the pond, The sad thing is the dogs want it so bad and the amount of damage done, to both dog and badger is really so little that a ban should never have been put in place. Screw baiting, it messed it up for everyone who had an honest dog. No way to turn back the clock unless you come to America. Or is there? My hope is that badgers will once again be able to be legally hunted in the U.K.

Haggler

The situation gets worse! Having finally admitted that badgers are the cause of the spread of bovine TB, they are now saying that it would not be cost effective to instigate a large enough cull to make a difference to the spread of this disease.

If only they had the sense to allow a cull by (possibly?) licenced terriermen over a certain number of months per year, they could get the job done for free and very efficiently too.