Idaho, USA

Guest Haggler

I've been told just yesterday that the Badger population in the UK is soaring out of control now aswell.

Is this true? if it is then whats the chances of a lift on the ban?

No chance.

What they going to do if the numbers carry on increasing ? (which they undoubtedly will do)

The situation gets worse! Having finally admitted that badgers are the cause of the spread of bovine TB, they are now saying that it would not be cost effective to instigate a large enough cull to make a difference to the spread of this disease.

If only they had the sense to allow a cull by (possibly?) licenced terriermen over a certain number of months per year, they could get the job done for free and very efficiently too.

Yeah, if the ban on hunting them is ever lifted then maybe it'd be something along the lines of this happening.

Then again, it is the government we're talking about and common sense doesnt always figure in their plans does it.

The same logic thats seeing the government planning on stopping TB jabs for kids at school, just as they let a sh!t load of immigrants in who are filling the hospitals up to the rafters with all sorts of diseases including a load of TB!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told just yesterday that the Badger population in the UK is soaring out of control now aswell.

Speaks for its self no natural predator except man and motor car they are bound to be thriving,take a walk around mid wales at night you will always see one bloody do gooders yet hedgehogs are more rare

Speaks for its self no natural predator except man and motor car they are bound to be thriving,take a walk around mid wales at night you will always see one bloody do gooders yet hedgehogs are more rare

Yeah, it amazes me the ammount of thought the government seem to of put into this (or lack of).

If they weren't hunted in to extinction in the 1800's and before then I very much doubt they'd be hunted into extinction in this day and age.

What next? a ban on Ratting? then again I better not mention that incase it gives them any ideas lol.

Yeah, it amazes me the ammount of thought the government seem to of put into this (or lack of).

If they weren't hunted in to extinction in the 1800's and before then I very much doubt they'd be hunted into extinction in this day and age.

What next? a ban on Ratting? then again I better not mention that incase it gives them any ideas lol.

Trouble with online badger debates is that someone invariably goes in feet first and give ammo to anti's.

Whether it's done intentionally is another matter.

Just having fun with Haggler, who is a friend and more than knows what he is doing which is why he can do it the next day too. Old people making old jokes about getting old. :tongue2:

As for badger populations in the UK, the Mammal Society reports that there are now more badger in the U.K. than red fox -- an astounding thing. A bit more and links >> HERE.

P.

Trouble with online badger debates is that someone invariably goes in feet first and give ammo to anti's.

So what should we do ? sit and keep our thoughts to ourselves mate?

No one is being forced into the debate over it, and no one is saying to go out and break the law and do it illegaly, just saying how stupid a straight up ban is when these animals can cause alot problems.

Guest Haggler

No one is being forced into the debate over it, and no one is saying to go out and break the law and do it illegaly, just saying how stupid a straight up ban is when these animals can cause alot problems.

A terrier and lurcher hunting license could be sold for those who wanted to hunt with dogs and then tags could be issued for quarry taken. The number of hunters and/or the number of tags could be regulated by areas where the government decided there was more or less of a population of fox, badger or hares to taken. It is called game management in the U.S. It gives sport to hunters, provides income for the government wildlife agencies and keeps numbers of quarry under control. All out bans make it sound like the critter is an endangered species and that is far from the truth. Hunting is a sport for the masses in the U.S. It seems like England wants to keep it a sport for the privileged few? :no:

Haggler

A terrier and lurcher hunting license could be sold for those who wanted to hunt with dogs and then tags could be issued for quarry taken. The number of hunters and/or the number of tags could be regulated by areas where the government decided there was more or less of a population of fox, badger or hares to taken. It is called game management in the U.S. It gives sport to hunters, provides income for the government wildlife agencies and keeps numbers of quarry under control. All out bans make it sound like the critter is an endangered species and that is far from the truth. Hunting is a sport for the masses in the U.S. It seems like England wants to keep it a sport for the privileged few? :no:

Haggler

That sounds fine the way they do it over there to me Haggler, why we cant have something like that I'll never know.

So what should we do ? sit and keep our thoughts to ourselves mate?

Pipey I'm not disagreeing with you. But in the past people have run their mouths off about such topics and it brings unwanted attention. The general public cannot see a difference between digging and baiting, so as soon as the word badger comes up on a terrier forum they jump to conclusions. There'll be a General Election in the next few years, the best we can hope for is a repeal of the last act.

Badgers? Never.