jack russels???

Depends 100% on the dog. In GENERAL you'll find most Russells to not be quite so driven to smash and grab as most patts. But there's so much variation out there as to make the generalization useless.

Me? I keep Russells, the good ones have always been able to do what I want done. That said I hunt with several folks who keep colored terriers and they get it done too, just in maybe a little different style.

It all comes down to what you want and what the dog you get actually does.

MOST Russells will bay and mix when they get the chance. They're more opportunistic biters and fighters in the earth than MOST patts. But like I said, there's a world of dogs out there and they are all individuals. You might get one that believes his first hold is his best hold. It sure worked for old Skinny boy. But as I've said he's the only Russell I've personally owned that was reliably that way from early on. He's hunting in the sky now, darn it.

Right now my best terrier is a six year old bitch. She started out baying everything. Nothing ever ran over her but she didn't scrap with anything. As time has gone by, now she bays for a while and then when she gets the opportunity, takes her hold. She's killed everything there is to kill over here in the ground and she got her first set of stitches this last June. . Now when we have to dig her and she's not baying she'll often have a groundhog by the snout and have him smothered and coons and possums with a neck hold. So she's smart about it and has learned the knack over the years. Which is what we all want from our dogs, right?

She's pretty typical for a good Russell. Though a lot of them never do really get to the point that they are grab n hold dogs.

Edited by Hickory

have seen some good russels mainly old type ones there not for everyone tho

i have a half pat russel here whos stil going at 10 yr old

10 yr auld fair fuks to it ,,,,,,not much bout ya then,,,,

i do aye 2 more terriers both working

Edited by artful212