Half a pound of animal fat and a pound of Beef ... Staple diet.

Last night whole rabbit and half a pound of animal fat..

I aint fed any veg and carbs ~fiber would be a handful of decent grade kibble.

Its actually not 100% fat, its marble beef fat minced but its still got a bit of red meat through it. Dogs been out every night since sunday :victory:

This feeding regime has not been strick and only started with the fat since the last week in Aug,when I starting getting dogs out more.

Edited by Giro

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They utilize protein, carbs and fats in the same way as humans then. Fat should be our number 1 source of energy, with the odd bit of carbs thrown in for a boost, whilst protein makes us grow. If you

Spot on lurche.   All this talk of percentages fat, protein, this and that makes my head spin too Basic needs are protein, fat, fibre, vits and minerals and a few carbs. Know where to get them fr

Just been and picked up a mixed box of chook carcases, wings, lamb ribs, lamb tops, beef trimmings, off cuts of liver etc etc: one of the many advantages of having a village butcher: and all for free

Posted Images

Giro: are you saying you give half a pound of animal fat to a lurcher every day? Even when I was running the coursing dogs hard they never got that much. To be honest, I've noticed that dogs with a fair bit of Saluki in them do better on increased carbs rather than increased fat: carbs are slow release energy. But so much depends on a dog's make up, its breeding. Fast, sprint type dogs do better on increased fat and protein rather than carbs. Feed my little Collie lurcher too much fat and she turns into a lump of lard herself: she gets more veg, bone than some, and less fat. They are all different: what suits one dog won't suit another.

ive always found that the fast racy hypo types do far better on minced chicken than any other meat, maybe its the fat content maybe its not :hmm: Giro. i dont think anyone will be able to answer your question with 100% certainty as even between the experts opinions vary :laugh:

there are many arguments some people argue BARF ,some people argue raw meaty bones others argue to only feed manufactured crap.there are many arguments and many books written by different vets,scientists and every man and his dog :tongue2: .most vets say you shouldnt feed raw probably because they would have nowt to do if more people fed like this :thumbs:

• Like 2

Giro: are you saying you give half a pound of animal fat to a lurcher every day? Even when I was running the coursing dogs hard they never got that much. To be honest, I've noticed that dogs with a fair bit of Saluki in them do better on increased carbs rather than increased fat: carbs are slow release energy. But so much depends on a dog's make up, its breeding. Fast, sprint type dogs do better on increased fat and protein rather than carbs. Feed my little Collie lurcher too much fat and she turns into a lump of lard herself: she gets more veg, bone than some, and less fat. They are all different: what suits one dog won't suit another.

ive always found that the fast racy hypo types do far better on minced chicken than any other meat, maybe its the fat content maybe its not :hmm: Giro. i dont think anyone will be able to answer your question with 100% certainty as even between the experts opinions vary :laugh:

there are many arguments some people argue BARF ,some people argue raw meaty bones others argue to only feed manufactured crap.there are many arguments and many books written by different vets,scientists and every man and his dog :tongue2: .most vets say you shouldnt feed raw probably because they would have nowt to do if more people fed like this :thumbs:

nor would they be sponsored buy the dog food manufacturers :whistling:
  • Like 2

I'll never forget a vet nurse who was the girlfriend of someone coming to buy a pup, looking at my 9 year old bitch's teeth and she wouldn't believe me when I told her that they'd never been de-scaled at the vets! Imagine that! :laugh: I was explaining the benefits of feeding raw and bones ect, and she was tut-tutting and shaking her head about all the nasty bones my dogs could get stuck in their throats, and the dangers of a not properly balanced diet, etc etc.

Vets make a lot of money from routine 'surgery' or treatments etc, many of which just are not needed for properly fed dogs.

Even my own vet who I do respect, is very dubious about feeding raw and bones, despite the fact that none of my dogs have ever had to go in for tooth, dietary problems, or anal gland problems ever, and are always much healthier than 99% of the mutts the vets see every day.

• Like 1

I'll never forget a vet nurse who was the girlfriend of someone coming to buy a pup, looking at my 9 year old bitch's teeth and she wouldn't believe me when I told her that they'd never been de-scaled at the vets! Imagine that! :laugh: I was explaining the benefits of feeding raw and bones ect, and she was tut-tutting and shaking her head about all the nasty bones my dogs could get stuck in their throats, and the dangers of a not properly balanced diet, etc etc.

Vets make a lot of money from routine 'surgery' or treatments etc, many of which just are not needed for properly fed dogs.

Even my own vet who I do respect, is very dubious about feeding raw and bones, despite the fact that none of my dogs have ever had to go in for tooth, dietary problems, or anal gland problems ever, and are always much healthier than 99% of the mutts the vets see every day.

I know, im bored of having this same argument with people. Although There is a vet round my way who ive actually become mates with that feeds her dogs raw meat and bones along with their kibble. She's a bit mental tbh, shes got 3 rescued ex working p***y lurchers (1 with 3 legs) an italian greyhound, 3 chihuahuas (2 with serious mental issues) and something thats looks like a big chihuahua that she doesnt know what breed it is. Knows her stuff though and always reccommends a raw diet to customers much to the annoyance of her colleagues
  • Like 2

Half a pound of animal fat and a pound of Beef ... Staple diet.

Last night whole rabbit and half a pound of animal fat..

I aint fed any veg and carbs ~fiber would be a handful of decent grade kibble.

Its actually not 100% fat, its marble beef fat minced but its still got a bit of red meat through it. Dogs been out every night since sunday :victory:

This feeding regime has not been strick and only started with the fat since the last week in Aug,when I starting getting dogs out more.

aye and that be fine with a animal run night after night with longer stints as the season progresses , run animals ten nights on the bounce in infested rabbit country only sustenance rabbit waste and plenty of animal fats no carbs other than from carcass, the fat diet in deep winter is the best for the man who needs to get lots from is animal heavy work loads night after night . adjust accordingly giro this will be the best for the animal . heavily saturated saliki types do seem to do welll on carb based diets some would say they evolved eating dates pasta etc , even so lot different than the yo yo animal for the lamp . atb bunnys.

I wish Mine would do ten nights on the bounce :laugh:

Just done five, me and the dog can feel.

I am going to have the weekend off :victory:

I am going to continue with the fat and if she starts dropping weight or appears to be flagging will increase accordingly.. If that dose not improve things I will go back to the tryed and test cups of kibble and a lb of mince .

006-1.jpg

Minced fat 0.5 lb

Tonights dinner

007.jpg

Much cheaper than kibble :laugh:

• Like 1

I am going to continue with the fat and if she starts dropping weight or appears to be flagging will increase accordingly.. If that dose not improve things I will go back to the tryed and test cups of kibble and a lb of mince .

006-1.jpg

Minced fat 0.5 lb

Tonights dinner

007.jpg

looks like more than enough dinner to me :thumbs: where do you get the mince? a tad more bone might help or is there bone in the mince?

Just been and picked up a mixed box of chook carcases, wings, lamb ribs, lamb tops, beef trimmings, off cuts of liver etc etc: one of the many advantages of having a village butcher: and all for free, though we do supply him with rabbits throughout the winter, in exchange for which we get what we want from his shop, but especially whole breast of lamb: lovely cut into ribs, splash of balsamic vinegar, salt and garlic, very slow roasted in the oven, and all that lovely fat to cook with afterwards: does it get any better? :D

• Like 3

006-1.jpg

Minced fat 0.5 lb

Tonights dinner

007.jpg

looks like more than enough dinner to me :thumbs: where do you get the mince? a tad more bone might help or is there bone in the mince?

No bone in the mince fella... On the off days I feed lamb ribs or marrow/kuckle bones..

Find if I give them bones they dont eat the good stuff lol and do little white chalky shits that hit the deck and turn to dust :laugh:

Get minced fat from local butcher :thumbs: