books about beagles

mart

I refuse to read anything written by J.C. Hobson. He's anti terrier work, simple as that.

As for writings on beagling ?

Well, it's not exactly a book but the best bits I've ever read on beagling have all come from Hounds magazine. There's always plenty on beagling in each issue and plenty of articles on hunting and whipping in to beagles.

Any mention of or praise of terriers in Hounds magazine?

I refuse to read anything written by J.C. Hobson. He's anti terrier work, simple as that.

As for writings on beagling ?

Well, it's not exactly a book but the best bits I've ever read on beagling have all come from Hounds magazine. There's always plenty on beagling in each issue and plenty of articles on hunting and whipping in to beagles.

I see your logic but I think you can still gain and learn a thing or two off someone that has an opposing view on a different subject.

• Like 1

I agree, but to state in a fieldsport publication that your against certain aspects of a certain fieldsport IMO is not healthy.

I also agree that isn't healthy.............. I certainly can't answer why he choose to do so but he does know a thing or two about a beagle.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

hare hunting by w lovell-hewett, lonsdale libary is the best book ever written on beagling, as good as lloyds if not better.

personally, these days google a k c beagle trials. try better beagle magazine, or beagles unlimited.

you tube... carrying the line part 1-2 , u k packs are now harriers running under the name beagles, try the yanks they do know their beagles.

kev-medlock crew

wilderness patchwork, Harcoombe mentioned it in edrd a great read about an american beagle breeder

By the late Willet Randall, who started the (still very popular) 'Patch' line of beagles in up state New York. Its a good read, as much about living in the wild woods as the beagles themselves. Great knowledge of breeding. And he certainly churned out top quality stock for literally decades.

hare hunting by w lovell-hewett, lonsdale libary is the best book ever written on beagling, as good as lloyds if not better.

personally, these days google a k c beagle trials. try better beagle magazine, or beagles unlimited.

you tube... carrying the line part 1-2 , u k packs are now harriers running under the name beagles, try the yanks they do know their beagles.

kev-medlock crew

I think the tendency is for UK beagles to be well up on the leg, as we hunt beagles over open land for the brown hare mostly, and we frown upon the hare being shot mid-hunt.

Over the pond, they hunt cottontail as well as white hares often in much tighter cover/woodland. They like the smaller types 12'' and under, for rabbits, and a faster type 13'' over (like the old patch type, more like the UK type) for the varying hare. But its hard to find beaglers over the pond, who dont hunt like a gun-pack. Saying that, I admire their style, many use hounds simply as a functional working dog to hunt game, without the pompus traditional 'rules' that seem to apply in hound circles here. Though the working trials obviously attract their share of trophy chasers it seems, and these do not always represent the best hounds.

DnN

I wouldnt knock what other people do for fun but they are totally diffrent sports and English Beagles hunting a wild Hare is about as close to Hound work as you can get. Most of the etiquette is built around fare play and giving quarry more than a sporting chance. When they catch its all theres. We just spectate.

• 3 weeks later...

kev-medlock crew

sorry i missed this post before,but I think you are spot on about the lovell hewitt book. No bull shit or snobbery and not afraid of the kill word. Too many packs happy to piss about following a drag all day and tolerating shit hounds,and thats before the ban..