Advice on potential permission

Hey all.

Spoke to a friend of mine regarding permission to ferret on his land, he's a beef farmer and one of the only landowners i know. He said it was no problem to come around anytime but also said he hadnt seen a rabbit in years, plenty of hares and foxes but no rabbits. He said locals say myxi cleared the area years ago.

My query is, do areas usually recover and re populate after myxi and if so how long? Its my only sign of permission so im sort of devastated theres no rabbits but at the same time thinking well its a step on the ladder to maybe getting some more permission of other farmers. And also im thinking if there is unused burrows i could use them to train my ferrets when i get them?

Edited by Audioslave82

find some where else mate put ferrets down occupied holes if possible areas usually recover after a few years but not always atb

I'd move on if i was you and use your pal to give you a reference. you could also go out at dawn or dusk to have a look as farmers dont always see them if there the busy sort just driving

the land

Seany ;)

Thanks lads, regardless i was going to continue seeking permissions and my mate has said he'll keep an ear out for me with surrounding farmers.

Its hard when your an absolute beginner such as myself.....not even a ferret to me name :icon_redface::tongue2: .

He did say there was one farmer who disliked guns and dogs so he might ask him if he would consider ferreting but he just sounds like a grumpy aul fecker :cray: .

Hey,

Just got back from knocking a few doors and seeking permission. I knew of one piece of land that contained rabbits so i focus my search on the house nearby it.

Took all the advice ive read here on the site and dressed smartly and was very polite.

First door i knocked nearest to it had stables sheds and tractor etc so i knew these guys had land, but as i spoke to the owner he said "no we dont have any land". :hmm: ...hmmmm was this a sign of things to come. He did however give me directions to the owner of the land i had my eye on.

So i went to the house i was directed too and unfortunetly there was no one home.

I then went to the neighbour and there was a long drive way to the house and a large gate secured by a light chain, being unfamilar with farming etiquette i was unsure wether or not to enter so i decided id leave it...........not going well so far :cray: .

I didnt give up and went further up the road were this gentlemen simply said "i wouldnt have any rabbits around here on my land" i thanked him and apolagised for disturbing him. more advice from here "stay polite even after rejection".

I was gonna give in as it started to rain heavily but decided 1 more go.

This house had lots of farming equipment etc, i knocked and holy f**k, the biggest man ive seen in my life answered the door, i mean this was giant haystack on steroids :icon_eek: . I politely informed him what i was looking to do, he asked do i have dogs and i said no he said "go ahead" :toast: .....f'n delighted so i was as he showed me were he more commonly sees the rabbits. Over the moon.

New found confidence went to the nearest house this time told them what i was seeking and that i had permission from their neighbour, as im doing so a lovely young labrador comes over to me and starts to get pally with my leg :laugh::icon_redface: . Not looking so smart now covered in mud. but this land owner also said yes.

So guys im on the ladder and i cant wait to get goin.....all i need is some ferrets and eperience now. :D

Thanks for all the advice guys

Well done mate, gaining permission for ferreting isn't so hard when you go about in the right way, as you have obviously done....... A mate in north Devon has a couple of this years hobs if your any where nearby, drop me a pm if it's any help.....

Hey all.

Spoke to a friend of mine regarding permission to ferret on his land, he's a beef farmer and one of the only landowners i know. He said it was no problem to come around anytime but also said he hadnt seen a rabbit in years, plenty of hares and foxes but no rabbits. He said locals say myxi cleared the area years ago.

My query is, do areas usually recover and re populate after myxi and if so how long? Its my only sign of permission so im sort of devastated theres no rabbits but at the same time thinking well its a step on the ladder to maybe getting some more permission of other farmers. And also im thinking if there is unused burrows i could use them to train my ferrets when i get them?

Just to keep the sport going i would go eles wer net up and take them back to that permission and leave it for a year or so let em build up then hit it next year! end of last season we entered bunnys back in to are local park 3 female and 1 male and now there is well over 40 spotted and counted at night :thumbs: thats what i would do seen as you already have the permission ATB