good day / bad day (new ferret required leeds area)

i had an invite out to a friends property today to help find and despatch a few problem bunnys ,i knew with all the cover about we were up against it but that wasnt a problem as today it wasnt about numbers ,just a good oppertunity to get out and make sure all my equipment was working correctly and give the ferrets chance to blow a few cobwebs away.anyhow i was joined by a friend and thier terrier and another friend with a couple of lurchers to hopefully catch any bolters , we went looking for any obvious signs af a warren or burrows that were being used .

this turned out to be almost impossible but we did manage to find the odd on or two holes dotted about and these produced nothing ,after lots of searching we managed to find three holes under a holly tree (this was the biggest warren we found all day ) so no matter how much it was going to hurt it just had to be ferreted. i crawled into the holly bush and netted the holes ,then in went the ferret ,after waiting 5 mins or so a rabbit bolted and was quickly despatched ,the ferret followed but was entered into the warren again and dissapeared for a good ten mins .i tracked the ferret around the warren and the 3 holer turned out to be quite some size ,so in went another ferret as i though the first ferret was being given the run around ,both ferrets dissapeared for another ten mins .

with the amount of cover we had missed a bolt hole and didnt notice one of my ferrets above ground and out of sight ,this only became obvious when their was a commotion ,i turned around to see one of the dogs that had been working with us killing the ferret ,by the time we got to the dog the ferret was dead .their was no reason we could see why the dog killed the ferret ,i was gutted, as was my friend whos dog it was, they couldnt apologise enough .this put a real downer on the day as we hadnt cought much but it was still enjoyable up until this point.

so with it being this time of the year it couldnt have happened at a worse time ,out of my team of 4 good workers i had a good jill die a few weeks ago and now i have lost my best hob ,i do have another 3 this years youngsters to bring on but its left short of at least 1 good old worker ,if anyone in the leeds or surrounding area has a good older worker spare please give me a shout .........cheers jim

dog aint ever harmed a ferret before and hadnt touched one all day ,thanks for the sympathy although it wasnt what i was after .ive helped a few people out when they needed it and i know the forum aint full of knobheads and theres a few who might be able to help out . thanks for the kind comments .....jim

no dean it wernt him ,he was a cracking worker but at the back end of last season i rehomed him as i had to dig him out twice after he collapsed ,first time he did it i gave him 6 weeks off,then i had to dig to him again and i was going to despatch him .until i found someone who wanted him as a pet ,it seemed a pity to destroy him as he always gave 100%.last i herd he was being taken out on a lead and living a happy life ....jim