Retrieving problems

Hi

Brand new to this forum.

I have a 1yr old male springer spaniel who is great on the whistle will hunt non stop however when locates dummy simply runs off with it won't retrieve and ofter attempts to chew it.

Help required on any simple hints & tips

Thanks all

Hi

Brand new to this forum.

I have a 1yr old male springer spaniel who is great on the whistle will hunt non stop however when locates dummy simply runs off with it won't retrieve and ofter attempts to chew it.

Help required on any simple hints & tips

Thanks all

i dont know how you train the retrieve but i start off the retrieve with two items with a pup and developing an understanding that bringing in the first makes way for the second to be launched

what i dont do is grab the first off any pup, later when the pup is used to bringing in the first i add the give part as another aspect for the second item to come into play,

potential energy in the second item is a huge incentive for any dog , the bird in the hand doesn't have as high a value as the two in the bush for the dog, a dog. forever an optimist is always interested in potential energy as far as motivation goes, thats what keeps them hunting , its a great handle in training a dog

so coming back with the first into your space with the potential energy that causes in the dogs mind is the key, once the mutt is coming to you for energy to happen it is eager to listen and take instruction and you become the key to all the action

in the dogs mind the dummy is a prize not to be shared, another element to work on is getting the mutt coming into your space for an even bigger prize , its food , hand feed for a while if you can if not hold the bowl on your knees and have him eat it there,

no corrections in your space, pups corrected for jumping can have issues with the area in or around us,

best of luck

• Like 1

You have allowed the dog too much freedom mate the very best advice i can give you is take him to a professional trainer and learn to handle him its about £25 an hour but a £100 worth will help you get the dog you want.

I have a little lurcher here that i almost ruined by not realising what i was doing wrong i was gutted when i learned all her problems were created by simple mistakes i had made.

Good luck

You have allowed the dog too much freedom mate the very best advice i can give you is take him to a professional trainer and learn to handle him its about £25 an hour but a £100 worth will help you get the dog you want.

I have a little lurcher here that i almost ruined by not realising what i was doing wrong i was gutted when i learned all her problems were created by simple mistakes i had made.

Good luck

Thanks have been looking today and a few gun dog trainers in Northumberland unless you can recommend one?

Cheers mate

While your waiting for a proffesional trainer.Sit in the living room,treats in one hand, dummy in the other.Dog in front of you.Get the dog to hold the dummy and then exchange for a treat.Even if the dog has the dummy for one second in its mouth give it a treat.Just do a few mins everyday and work on duration.Don,t react or get cross in any way.Once you are both confident ,take the dog out side and keep him on a lead and do the same.See if he will walk by your side with the dummy in his mouth and always reward with food when he gives it to you.This will take about 2 weeks to get to this level.

While your waiting for a proffesional trainer.Sit in the living room,treats in one hand, dummy in the other.Dog in front of you.Get the dog to hold the dummy and then exchange for a treat.Even if the dog has the dummy for one second in its mouth give it a treat.Just do a few mins everyday and work on duration.Don,t react or get cross in any way.Once you are both confident ,take the dog out side and keep him on a lead and do the same.See if he will walk by your side with the dummy in his mouth and always reward with food when he gives it to you.This will take about 2 weeks to get to this level.

Hi

That's great will get to work on this however have read not to use treats as the dog may give up on a retrieve opting to come back for the treat?

wont the dog keep dropping the dummy looking for the treat,atb wf

wont the dog keep dropping the dummy looking for the treat,atb wf

The way around that would be to introduce a command when the dog let's go of the dummy, something like "give" or "dead". If the dog drops the dummy before you give the command say "no" and gently put the dummy back in the dogs mouth and try again. When it let's go of the dummy on command then treat.