problem with my brothers fac application

my brother got the call from west yorkshires firearms licensing department after he had sent in his application they said they couldnt proceed with his application due to him having no experience with rifles he said hed been out with me but they said because im family i couldnt vouch for him he has been shooting longer than me with shotguns and air rifles sum 10 years he has alot of permission in kirklees but only one in calderdale the feo said to him that they wernt willing to look at his land in kirklees some 250 acres and only the one in calderdale 50acres would be inspected but he was told it would be unlikely he would get it because of the lac experience could any of you shed any light on the possible reasons for this cheers guys

Hi

If he has good reason and land to shoot,I don't see the problem,I could understand if they wanted to put a mentoring condition but not an outright no and can't continue with the application,how he supposed to gain experience without a fac,, we all had to start somewhere, I think they are being bang out of order and he should fight it all the way,hope it gets sorted

Atb

carnt happen if you have good reason to own a firearm then its law to allow it to be granted if you meet the requirement that the law requires, some forces are now using the mentoring clause but that would fail aswell if challanged as its not law :yes:

hes put in for fac air and a hmr i cant believe the attitude he got on the phone they told him they counldnt spair the man power or the time to go to his larger permissions where he does most of his shooting just because it isnt in the feo area it just outside apparently. but if every first time applicant has this problem f**k me this games had it

Send them a letter with your (or their) dramas and tell them as you've paid for a service and they can't provide, you're now taking legal advice with the intention of taking it all the way. If they're being that bad I'd also complain to the IPCC, and tell them you're going to do it as I guarantee their finger will pop out very quickly :D

First step, speak to one of the shooting organisations. BASC can be pretty helpful, I've heard good things about the NGO etc. They might want you to join up (but that shouldn't be a problem, as you get insurance thrown in) but they will generally fight your corner for you.

I have to agree with everyone on here. I love looking around the hunting life forums and when I see issues like this, it makes my blood boil. The Police have home Office guidelines to follow when it comes to Firearms but, it always surprises me how different each and every licensing authority is. Did the Police give a good reason as to why they were not going to consider or look at the land in Kirklees? For the Police to say he has no experience with Firearms, in my opinion, is not good reason.

I would be willing to bet the land in Kirklees has already been passed for something higher than a rimfire, (I could be wrong though). For the Police to say the land isn't within the Licensing Authrities area is ridiculous. I come under South Wales Police and have land as far as Hereford.

I think you have 21 days to appeal against the decision by the Firearms Licensing Department. If you are with the BASC, contatc the Firearms licensing department without delay. They are fantastic and may even write a letter to the Police on your behalf. They don't like it when the legal people get involved. There was a case in a recent magazine where a father and his son had an been having problems with a neighbour making a noise. To cut a long story short, one day the father and son had a knock on the door from the Police. The neighbour they had an altercation with had alleged the Father had threatened him with his shotgun. This was untrue.

Because the complaint was made the Police had no alternative but to sieze the Fathers shotguns and certificate. If I remember correctly, it was some eight weeks or more and they still had not got their guns back. They were told the case was still under review. The father contacted the BASC. In under a week the Police knocked on the Fathers door and said he could go and collect his shotguns. Shortly after he had received his shotguns, he received a letter from the Police stating, even though he had got his certificate and guns back, his certificate was still under review and, if he should ever come to the attention of the Police again, for whatever reason, his licence and guns would be revoked indefinately. Unhappy with this because he hadn't done anything wrong, the father contatcted the BASC again. Not long after, he received a letter of apology.

Sorry to go on a bit, but it shows, the Police themselves do step out of line. They have been known to tell people not to worry if their Firearms / Shotgun renewal certificate doesn't come back in time. When in fact they are ill advising people. To own a firearm or shotgun without a valid certificate is illegal. The Police are themselves are breaking the law in telling you otherwise.

As I said earlier, get hold of the BASC, they will help.

ATB

Edited by maktayla

Unless you are already a member why should any shooting organization help ? if you join SACS Basc /Ngo etc do it before you put in your application. Otherwise its like trying to insure your car for the accident you've just been in.

Sacs won't help in any way with problems with the grant of a certificate, only on renewals. It says so in the small print