theoben gas ram

Guest reload

I have used a bsa lightning, which had one and it was a great improvement. I knowit used to be mine when it had a spring and once it had a gas ram fitted it was even better, alot less re coil.

hypothetically speaking ! of course ! if you install the .177 into the .22 i would reckon youre gun

may hit 18 ft/lbs my cousin got his two rams mixed up tried it through the chronograph

and changed it immediately ;) the only problems were scope creep and 1 broken cross hair this was sorted by a decent pair of mounts, though personally you cant beat the gas ram

Do that and it will shoot utter shit, bounce about and split the stock.

seen it twice and at 16 -18ftlbs not worth puting on FAC or getting banged up if not

can only say wat hapened to us the gun held its zero and was smooth to shoot once the mounts were sorted ;) hypothetically speaking

Guest Rabbiteer
Orderd one today for the price its cheaper than a new rifle failing that the spring can go back in.

Thought it would be an improvement :)

Good luck wit the conversion I hope you get everything you want out of it.

As stated you may need to change you mounts to a one peice dampa mount of sorts to prevent scope creep. Gas rams produce the sharpest recoil of all of the guns on scope's and can cause some real damage to cheaper optics.

Good hunting,

Nik

• 2 years later...
Guest air gunner

i am looking ahead to the day i need to get a new spring (if i dont get a pcp) anyway i have read many different views on gas rams many say they are good. this one says scope creep! a big no no!! sharp recoil (is that good?) and power change in different temperatures!! again a big NO NO!!! so whats the low down? just get a new bsa standard spring?

I've four guns with gas-rams. HW90, Webley Tracker and Xocet and a BSA Lightning.

The three I converted all shoot much better. The recoil's a tad sharper with a ram fitted but I reckon it's no more than before. You lose the twangs and vibration the goes with a steel spring and they are quieter as you lose most of the mechanical noise.

The best bit's not worrying about leaving the gun cocked for a long time.

Never had the scope problems reported above though.

Cheers.

Good good and the consitancy? the reliability does it leak etc? also how often do you use them?

The 90 I've had for over ten years and I've never had a problem with it. It must've fired twenty thousand or more shots and it's not missed a beat. It's my main gun and gets a fair bit of use.

The Xocet was done about a year ago and probably only done a thousand or so shots. but so far so good.

The other two have only been done a couple of months and haven't had much use yet, only a few hundred shots each, so dunno. They're kind of spares and I do collect springers!

One thing though, if the 90 ever does leak, you can top them up. All the after-market kits, you can't.... They are sealed.

I really would recomend them. £40 for a ram that 'should' last forever. Or £20ish for a top spring that you know WILL fail in time.

Cheers.

Edit to say... One thing I have noticed with gas springs over steel is they seem to be a lot less fussy with the weight of the pellet. Steel springs don't tend to like heavy ones but the gas springs don't seem that bothered. Very strange!!

Edited by andyfr1968