Scarlet The Female Harris Hawk Diary

bullseye76

Nice set up Bullseye.. :thumbs: ..this is in no way a dig just a question..what have you got the bow sat on in your enclosure..? ..if it is carpet i would remove it as the hawk may well get her feet caught up in it..if it is lino i would also remove it as your bird will end up full of shite when she is bating about..

hi millet thanks for your comments yes its carpet that the bow is sat on and she is hooded so she isn't bating at all and don't come of the perch but if you still think thats bad?? i take it on board mate

cheers again

atb stu

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

cheers millet i get on and order some astro for just underneath the bow.. she isn't bating at all mate well what i can see and trust me I'm out there checking her loads to much!!lol atb stu

Has for the hooding i honestly think it does have some good benefits for us i hood all the birds ive had because you just never know when you will need to keep you bird calm.   For one example i was

use a rabbit leg with the meat of it for manning as the bird will work at it for ages and hardly get any reward for it this way they look at the glove as a good place to be and not a pirch.think of it

Reds seem better than Harris another plus for a red

look mate if your gonna just post on my thread crap like that don't bother cheers I'm quite happy to do a diary on here but your comment has no relevance to it so don't bother please

cheers stu

I was stating that reds are better than Harris around ferret .so wind ur neck in

Hi mate i fail to see what grovesy has actualy done wrong but voice opinion he finds reds take to ferrets better than the harris this is his opinion and he s entitled to it . He offered you some great advise on using a tiring to keep the bird occupied and more interested in the food and glove for longer there making your manning process longer and positive thus benifiting you in manning your bird .why not just ask how he finds them easier you never know you might learn something i know its your thread your diary etc but i think you need to lighten up pal do not post on my thread etc etc if someone dares to voice an opinion . me myself find the harris better i find reds unpredictable and very tempermental but thats my opinion i just think you need to lighten up pal and good lick with your bird your doing a good job :thumbs:

hi mate i appreciate what your saying but I'm doing a diary on my harris hawk and everyone is more than welcome to post positive or negative comments but just to say reds seem better than harris's another plus for the red!! why what is it a red V harris thread??? like i say I'm quite happy to take comments but thats kids stuff my dads harder than your dad if you get my drift?? I'm new to falconry and help is always handy

atb stu

yeah i get your point pal no worries hope you get many years of great hunting pal

Reds seem better than Harris another plus for a red

look mate if your gonna just post on my thread crap like that don't bother cheers I'm quite happy to do a diary on here but your comment has no relevance to it so don't bother please

cheers stu

I was stating that reds are better than Harris around ferret .so wind ur neck in

Hi mate i fail to see what grovesy has actualy done wrong but voice opinion he finds reds take to ferrets better than the harris this is his opinion and he s entitled to it . He offered you some great advise on using a tiring to keep the bird occupied and more interested in the food and glove for longer there making your manning process longer and positive thus benifiting you in manning your bird .why not just ask how he finds them easier you never know you might learn something i know its your thread your diary etc but i think you need to lighten up pal do not post on my thread etc etc if someone dares to voice an opinion . me myself find the harris better i find reds unpredictable and very tempermental but thats my opinion i just think you need to lighten up pal and good lick with your bird your doing a good job :thumbs:

hi mate i appreciate what your saying but I'm doing a diary on my harris hawk and everyone is more than welcome to post positive or negative comments but just to say reds seem better than harris's another plus for the red!! why what is it a red V harris thread??? like i say I'm quite happy to take comments but thats kids stuff my dads harder than your dad if you get my drift?? I'm new to falconry and help is always handy

atb stu

yeah i get your point pal no worries hope you get many years of great hunting pal

no worries budharley i really wasn't digging at you mate i really just want constructive posts thats all!!!

all the best pal

stu

hi millet thanks for your comments yes its carpet that the bow is sat on and she is hooded so she isn't bating at all and don't come of the perch but if you still think thats bad?? i take it on board mate

cheers again

atb stu

It's not too bad if she is not bating about like a looney... :thumbs: ..but then again you don't realy need it there..if you are worried about her blunting her talon's when the hood does finaly come off a good lump of astro turf under the bow would be better..it's also easier to clean with the hose pipe or jet spray..

cheers again

atb stu

It's not too bad if she is not bating about like a looney... :thumbs: ..but then again you don't realy need it there..if you are worried about her blunting her talon's when the hood does finaly come off a good lump of astro turf under the bow would be better..it's also easier to clean with the hose pipe or jet spray..

cheers millet i get on and order some astro for just underneath the bow.. she isn't bating at all mate well what i can see and trust me I'm out there checking her loads to much!!lol

atb stu

• Like 2

09/08/2012

scarlet is progressing as expected she feed after about 5 mins after the hood was of so getting used to her soundings and me and calm again and hardly bating and when she does she gets straight back on the hood!! been walking about with here round the garden as well without the hood all in all getting very confident!!

been giving her 3oz of washed shinned beef and she weighed 2lb again so no change in weight

09/08/2012

took scarlet round to my mentors again tonight for the manning session to see if she would feed in front of viz the dog and she did again after the hood was off for about 5 mins if that so very pleased that she is confident to eat in front of a dog thats walking around my feet!

gave her a little less than 3oz as when i weighed her today she was creeping up and weighed 2 lb and half a ounce so gonna cut her feed a bit tomorrow as well a bit

did give it 1 try of getting her to step on the glove of a t perch my mentor made me but no luck she bated so didn't push her any more will try tomorrow again maybe

gonna take her to the stables tomorrow night just to get her used to diffent places and noises and some horses

all in all very pleased with her progress and every night I'm very looking forward to every next day with her!!

cheers atb stu

• Like 1

not put posted anything on here for a few days as not much change with things

12/08/2012

started off with a piece of washed beef with her on the fist as soon as hood was off she feed then put her on T perch she had a look for a bit then constantly bated every time she was put back on perch so re hooded let he settle for a bit then same again back onto the perch she seemed a lot calmer and was bending down for meat and i slowly pulled away but again started bating again 6 times then re hooded

let her settle again for a bit then same again this time she hopped on and did so 6 times in all out ill her her days rations were gone (great day)

atb stu

my advice pal is give it nothing now till it jumps all the best

Got to be very carefull with advice like that without seeing the bird or feeling its keel ,as if the bird was very low and not the energy to jump is asking for trouble not saying the bird is just giving some good advice

Personally is be using washed rabbit as far less fat in it to beef

again not posted on here for few days

14/08/2012

got scarlett flying leash length when its just me and her but as soon as my mate brings his dog round she only hops a short distance so yesterday give her 1 oz of rations as she wasn't playing ball so to speak its important for us she gets used to the dog as he will be a very important part of the team

I'm going to his tonight and not gonna get her hoping or jumping just going to focus on her be really comfortable with the dog

she is also hardly bating at all now!

ps cheers for imput and support its always welcome

all the best stu