has the whippet cross become to popular to the detriment of the greyhound cross

pros of the whippet cross-has the quarry under pressure straight away,usually good turners,cons- weather conditions,not as powerful as other breeds,after that initial burst will it still be their,half the stride of some of the other breeds.stamina?,pros of greyhound cross- usually quiet powerful,fast at top end,can have good stamina,not afraid to take a knock,cons-acceleration can take a while to get their,turning will lose a stride sometimes two on smaller breed.

ifirstly i agree that the whippet has made a massive comeback. and not before time. however not as a pure or hybred. imo the whippet is being used to bring down the size of the lurcher and to tidy up some of the more bulky types. whippets and the whippet crosses have a passionate following. despite being frail. shivery accident prone little things.

the thing with lurchers is everytime someone crosses two breeds they tend to break all the rules. and the offspring get different qualities that dont exist in the parents.

post-2078-0-10856800-1343814148_thumb.jpg

post-2078-0-36011000-1343814247.jpg

the above lurcher is half bred whippet

turns like a boat. poor take off . :laugh: . allthough the benefits of the whippet generally show better when in high percentages or when mixed with the greyhound.

whippet blood is in my opinion at its stunning best. when kept pure. :victory:

i second that whippet blood is at its best kept pure i dont mean kc pure tho ;) im the same ive a half bred whippet she cant provide nothing more than a whippet can :yes:

surely a good working 3/4 brings alot more to the table than a pure whippet

what can it do the whippet cant already do?bar maybe look the part dont get me wrong i love the little half crosses they look the part but looks dont catch dinner :yes:

dont get me wrong but ill put it like this a pure whippet or a pure greyhound for working how many lads do you see working them on a ratio compared to a well breed lurcher virtually none if they where so good every one would work them.beedy/wheaton-fire gameness,feet,coat-collie-brains,saluki-stamina etc theirs alot to add to a whippet.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A simple, one word answer to your question.......... NO.   Cheers.

ifirstly i agree that the whippet has made a massive comeback. and not before time. however not as a pure or hybred. imo the whippet is being used to bring down the size of the lurcher and to tidy up

1/4 whipp 3/4 grey

Posted Images

poxon i run this dog on ground that will put your average running dog on crutches. he is worked on all ground. including tips. railways. industrial estates. as well as the more normal ground. he can work on baked hard ground and frosted ground. he works all weather he has not had a week on the sick in seven years he has been hit by a car and was working the next day. i would have gone through a few whippets by now if i tried to work them the same. not knocking them like i say different dogs

pros of the whippet cross-has the quarry under pressure straight away,usually good turners,cons- weather conditions,not as powerful as other breeds,after that initial burst will it still be their,half the stride of some of the other breeds.stamina?,pros of greyhound cross- usually quiet powerful,fast at top end,can have good stamina,not afraid to take a knock,cons-acceleration can take a while to get their,turning will lose a stride sometimes two on smaller breed.

ifirstly i agree that the whippet has made a massive comeback. and not before time. however not as a pure or hybred. imo the whippet is being used to bring down the size of the lurcher and to tidy up some of the more bulky types. whippets and the whippet crosses have a passionate following. despite being frail. shivery accident prone little things.

the thing with lurchers is everytime someone crosses two breeds they tend to break all the rules. and the offspring get different qualities that dont exist in the parents.

post-2078-0-10856800-1343814148_thumb.jpg

post-2078-0-36011000-1343814247.jpg

the above lurcher is half bred whippet

turns like a boat. poor take off . :laugh: . allthough the benefits of the whippet generally show better when in high percentages or when mixed with the greyhound.

whippet blood is in my opinion at its stunning best. when kept pure. :victory:

i second that whippet blood is at its best kept pure i dont mean kc pure tho ;) im the same ive a half bred whippet she cant provide nothing more than a whippet can :yes:

surely a good working 3/4 brings alot more to the table than a pure whippet

what can it do the whippet cant already do?bar maybe look the part dont get me wrong i love the little half crosses they look the part but looks dont catch dinner :yes:

look the part . ....he is the ugliest lurcher ive ever owned lol

poxon i run this dog on ground that will put your average running dog on crutches. he is worked on all ground. including tips. railways. industrial estates. as well as the more normal ground. he can work on baked hard ground and frosted ground. he works all weather he has not had a week on the sick in seven years he has been hit by a car and was working the next day. i would have gone through a few whippets by now if i tried to work them the same. not knocking them like i say different dogs

here we go only on the hunting life :haha:
  • Like 1

As to the original question -

Think about all ofthe bull x greys, deer x greys, collie x greys, saluki xgreys.

Many, may have some whippet in them, but the majority will also have greyhound blood.

It's very rare, that you find many lurchers with no greyhound blood, other than the beddy x whips.

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

It stands to reason we in england can't hunt the hare legally so the whippet cross has grown in popularity though necessity not because of trends or fashion.

No need for the pure speed and stamina.

Atb Cookie

• Like 1

i got the same durable qualities from collie greyhounds. first crosses. its what i would expext from a well bred first cross lurcher. what do you keep. and what type of ground do you work it on?

its the job u want the dog to work on has to dictate your breed choice each to their own but if a pure breed whippet was the best

allround rabbiter everyone would use them or at least more than do i know of one lad round here a smashing dog but not without its faults when he gets his next dog in 5 years hes having a well breed lurcher.-(poxon)

with the taken up of a running dog and discussions prior to pitching my tent on a breed that would suit me i discussed at length with learned men of the sport it became apparent the whippet cross had become a stable mate of many a mans kennel however is this at the cost of the greyhound cross, is this a good thing given the current laws or an evolution of the sport.

With tales of 11 month old dogs being bred from , I think it's entirely possible the current popularity of the former rag dog, ie the whippet cross,, will ultimately be to the detriment of the Whippet if anything. Edited by inan
  • Like 2

i got the same durable qualities from collie greyhounds. first crosses. its what i would expext from a well bred first cross lurcher. what do you keep. and what type of ground do you work it on?

i keep a collie lurcher to collie lurcher bred an beddy x ill work em on any ground beggers cant be choosers :thumbs:

with the taken up of a running dog and discussions prior to pitching my tent on a breed that would suit me i discussed at length with learned men of the sport it became apparent the whippet cross had become a stable mate of many a mans kennel however is this at the cost of the greyhound cross, is this a good thing given the current laws or an evolution of the sport.

With tales of 11 month old dogs being bred from , I think it's entirely possible the current popularity of the former rag dog, ie the whippet croos,, will ultimately be to the detriment of the Whippet if anything.

surely such idiots breed from all dogs from across all breeds not just the whippet your statement basically says that by the whippet becoming so popular in lurcher lines it will damage the overall respect the whippet has already i dont see it that way their will always be bad pennies breeding dogs but why should one spoil it for the rest who respect their dogs.