Sal/grey/collie breeding

A mate of mine has got a 6 year old bitch mostly saluki/collie/grey with a dash of deerhound way back.

She is 24" tts, very obedient, fast off the mark, ferrets and lamps rabbits, takes daytime hares well. I've seen her work a few times and can't fault her.

He wants a pup out of her and I fancy one of them.

I've got a sal/grey x collie/grey bitch myself and really like them so I've advised he puts a similar bred dog over her.

He's thinking of a strong, quite tall whippet probably 22" or a whippet/grey.

He does a lot of golf courses so is thinking the reduction in size will help here and be even quicker off the mark.

However he doesn't want to lose the intelligence and stamina which is already there in the bitch.

What would you lads put over her?

I know the general rule is "what is she missing" but we can't really find anything, she is spot on for what we do.

I've always liked the idea of a whippet put over a good all round lurcher.

Cheers

Gaz

A mate of mine has got a 6 year old bitch mostly saluki/collie/grey with a dash of deerhound way back.

She is 24" tts, very obedient, fast off the mark, ferrets and lamps rabbits, takes daytime hares well. I've seen her work a few times and can't fault her.

He wants a pup out of her and I fancy one of them.

I've got a sal/grey x collie/grey bitch myself and really like them so I've advised he puts a similar bred dog over her.

He's thinking of a strong, quite tall whippet probably 22" or a whippet/grey.

He does a lot of golf courses so is thinking the reduction in size will help here and be even quicker off the mark.

However he doesn't want to lose the intelligence and stamina which is already there in the bitch.

What would you lads put over her?

I know the general rule is "what is she missing" but we can't really find anything, she is spot on for what we do.

I've always liked the idea of a whippet put over a good all round lurcher.

Cheers

Gaz

would a 3/4 whippet help or even a 1/2 whippet 1/4 saluki 1/4greyhound?? that way you dont lose out on stamina :hmm: :hmm:

Edited by Wxm

I did suggest sal/whip/grey first but his response was that he could end up with too much saluki "stubborn streak" and lose the collie brain completely.

Cheers

Gaz

genetics don't always work that way. I would look for a similar bred dog that has some of the traits you think are missing from the mix of your current dog. Good luck ;)

Guest born to run1083

Ideations got a whippet, 22tts strong type. If you waited another year or so to make sure Finn was fully tested he'd be my pick. jai will obviously tell you more but he works these welsh mountains all day long stamina never an issue and he's one horney bugger haha lol

if she does all yees want, a reduction in size aint needed is it, id put a similar type as the bitch over her an if i really wanted a smaller version id run on all pups until i had a good idea of what was gonna be smaller out of them

• Like 1

anoter intresting mix would be whippet x colliex greyhound x salukie

daft x that you would not make ani money from them pups

Quite right.......... no point breeding if you aint gonna make a load of cash off the pups is there.......... :rolleyes:

anoter intresting mix would be whippet x colliex greyhound x salukie

daft x that you would not make ani money from them pups

Quite right.......... no point breeding if you aint gonna make a load of cash off the pups is there.......... :rolleyes:

is right buddy I would just breed for own use but that paddy a puppy farmer

I did suggest sal/whip/grey first but his response was that he could end up with too much saluki "stubborn streak" and lose the collie brain completely.

Cheers

Gaz

I'D PUT A SALXWHPXGREY, a lot of collie can be a real pain in arse..picking what it runs