bull x type terrier

Is ther any lads with bull x type terriers that work right ? im sure ther will be good and bad reports on this . i have seen a few that did the job right and i have seen plenty that didnt , but also i have seen both sides on a fell type good and bad .

do you think the bull takes the work ability away from a terrier ?

do you think it increases the gameness in a dog ?

i look forward to opinions from both sides good and bad .. cheers

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

they may lack looks or lack a bit of size etc but they should never lack determination or desire to get the job done if they have them two qualitys reguardless of what style they use to get job done t

why breed from a bitch for example that lacks a bit of drive and second putting a game staff over her aint going to fix what she lacks why not put the staff over a good bitch that dos nt lack anything

i thats a fair point but i never said my dogs where perfect gnasher i said they lack nothing in MY eyes thats why i keep them in my yard,once i can dig to my dogs and come down on top of it and its

I think it all depends on what you would call working right,everybody differs with the way they like a dog to work.Some like out and out yappers,more like a mixing type that will sound away but can up the gears if need be,then some like a hard type that will take no prisioners but might be in sick bay fairly often for there trouble,its all down to the individual himself and what he likes.

• Like 1

I think it all depends on what you would call working right,everybody differs with the way they like a dog to work.Some like out and out yappers,more like a mixing type that will sound away but can up the gears if need be,then some like a hard type that will take no prisioners but might be in sick bay fairly often for there trouble,its all down to the individual himself and what he likes.

i totally agree with you . but each type you have mentioned are all working . i ment really with the bull x type working or not should i of put , or even staying till dug reagrdless of the way they work

i totally agree with you . but each type you have mentioned are all working . i ment really with the bull x type working or not should i of put , or even staying till dug reagrdless of the way they work

To answer your 1st question,no i think a good well bred staff has as much hunting drive as any terrier and secondly if the terrier you put the bull across is lacking gameness then why breed it in the 1st place.I have a 4 year old staffxpatt that has worked almost 3 seasons and has always stayed the distance till dug to.He is halfx and his way of working is not everybodys cup of tea but i get a lot of diging from him so cant complain and find he only takes a very short time to recouperate after a hard dig as he is a strong type.

• Like 1

To answer your 1st question,no i think a good well bred staff has as much hunting drive as any terrier and secondly if the terrier you put the bull across is lacking gameness then why breed it in the 1st place.I have a 4 year old staffxpatt that has worked almost 3 seasons and has always stayed the distance till dug to.He is halfx and his way of working is not everybodys cup of tea but i get a lot of diging from him so cant complain and find he only takes a very short time to recouperate after a hard dig as he is a strong type.

:thumbs:

On 20/07/2012 at 21:50, fat man said:
On 20/07/2012 at 21:36, steve2 said:
On 20/07/2012 at 21:34, fat man said:

Edited by AVALANCHE

as i read this fat man...question why would you not put a dog that lacks a bit of game over a staff,dose a working staff not add everything you need, i think so...

why breed from a bitch for example that lacks a bit of drive and second putting a game staff over her aint going to fix what she lacks why not put the staff over a good bitch that dos nt lack anything cause at end of day you could breed the best dog and bitch in the country and they still might not produce quality pups there for always breed from the best available breeding from substandard dogs is what will kill the working terrier quicker than the anti s imo
  • Like 6

they may lack looks or lack a bit of size etc but they should never lack determination or desire to get the job done if they have them two qualitys reguardless of what style they use to get job done then they d get fed in my kennells weather they be pink and green with three legs or the best looking terrier that ever walked .in your post you said a terrier that lacks game over a staff i always thought men aded a touch of bull to give bone and a bit of size never to try and make up for lack of gameness in the terrier as if its become apparent it lacks gameness then it def aint breeding material in first plae ehh !!!!!!!!

Edited by dee mac
  • Like 7
On 20/07/2012 at 22:31, dee mac said:
On 20/07/2012 at 22:03, AVALANCHE said:
On 20/07/2012 at 21:50, fat man said:
On 20/07/2012 at 21:36, steve2 said:
On 20/07/2012 at 21:34, fat man said:

as i read this fat man...question why would you not put a dog that lacks a bit of game over a staff,dose a working staff not add everything you need, i think so...
why breed from a bitch for example that lacks a bit of drive and second putting a game staff over her aint going to fix what she lacks why not put the staff over a good bitch that dos nt lack anything cause at end of day you could breed the best dog and bitch in the country and they still might not produce quality pups there for always breed from the best available breeding from substandard dogs is what will kill the working terrier quicker than the anti s imo

Edited by AVALANCHE

OK..so even if you had a dog or bitch from your line that puts the gear on the bank every week you wouldn't breed from him or her cause they lack drive?? you'll not no till you try :thumbs: not everyone has the same standard of dog that you look for or read about in books.....

Why oh why would anybody keep a dog that leaves its gears on the bank?They eat the same as a good dog.
  • Like 1

Why would anyone breed of a dog or bitch that lacks drive,thats the reason there is so much shite been bred around the country and then when the dog or dogs dont make the grade the person responsible for breeding them in the 1st place has not the balls to do the right thing and sell the terrier on saying it is doing all sorts only for it to be maybe bred of again and probably passed on again to someone else to create more rubbish.I can remember when i started in terriers 1st.A terrier then had to work all game and work for very long periods of time as the magic box was not about,it was ear to the ground then,but now with new laws and bans a terrier has only to work fox so in my mind they are not near as proven as they were say 40 year ago,jmho.

• Like 5

OK..so even if you had a dog or bitch from your line that puts the gear on the bank every week you wouldn't breed from him or her cause they lack drive?? you'll not no till you try :thumbs: not everyone has the same standard of dog that you look for or read about in books.....

if they put the game or gear as you call it on the bank every week for you then they hardly lack drive do they ?
  • Like 1