Shanes Castle Game Fair Weekend

Shanes Castle Co Antrim was the venue last weekend for The Great Game Fairs of Ireland 50th Golden Game Fair. Shanes Castle is steeped in history and sits on the north-east shores of Lough Neagh. Built in 1345 by a member of the O'Neill dynasty, it was originally called Eden-duff-carrick. Shane MacBrien O'Neill changed the name to Shane's Castle in 1722. What a memorable weekend we had at this ruined Castle.

Friday morning seen the launch of the 50th Game Fair of Ireland, carried out by the Deputy First Minister Martin Mc Guinness in the presence of Mr Roy Thompson, Mayor of Antrim, and Mr Shane O Neill, owner of Shanes Castle, Irene and Albert Titterington and Co Directors and a host of sporting enthustiasts from all areas of country sports, both North and South of Ireland and further a field.

This great occassion was followed on Saturday by the Game Fair and the Master Mc Grath Championship and Racing. On Sunday as well as the brilliant Game Fair.the added highlight of the day was the Dog Show. Cars,Vans and Trailers came in droves, with family and dogs in tow, and had the parking area filled to capacity in no time. Although the weather was not very kind to us,it did not dampen the spirits of these avid show goers.

The books have shown record crowds again this year on both days, and I have heard nothing but praise for this years Best Game Fair ever, its organiser Mr Albertj Titterington,his team, and his brilliant band of helpers. Well done to you all. Albert, I am sure after 34 years of organising Game Fairs, you could do it with your eyes shut. And may you have many more years to do same.

It was so nice to meet so many old faces and also to meet some new. It filled my heart with pride, and almost filled my eyes with tears, when I met Sammy Bowers and his wife Linda, with some guests with special needs from the Forest Lodege Respite Centre, Belfast. These special loving young people presented a Perpetual Sheild from Forest lodge Repite Centre to the Glenbank Club. Two of the children showed Sammys Dogs in the child handling class, and each got a Rosette. These special children dont ask for much, and give so much appreciation in return. They were so overwhelmed with their rosettes, Sammy and Lindas act of kindness, and their day out at Shanes Castle. Well done Sammy and Linda. That few hours out for those special people mean so much to them. God Bless you both for taking time out of your busy life, and showing so much kindness to special people who live in a different world from us.

The Game Fair was filled with visitors from Australia, America and Canada, and many parts of the UK and Southern Ireland. The place was crawling with families out to enjoy the fun of the fair for the day. Although parts of the ground was very wet and mucky, the children played away happily all day. I am sure there were some very tired little people last night. But that is what Shanes Castle Game Fair is all about. A day out for all the family, and something for everybody to enjoy young and old. Little Owen Brennan, came all the way from Dublin with his father Graham, as did Matt Slevin,his children, and his lovely wife Catherine. They came all the way from Slaney Valley down there in the County Wexford. It was lovely to meet up with you all and welcome you up to Northern Ireland to this beautiful Countryside of ours. I also spoke with Stephen Mc Gonigle, Author of "The Seasons End" and bought a copy of same. Brilliant reading, and would advise as a good buy and reasonably priced. Stephen forgot he asked me to hold his Dog while he got me my change from paying for the book. I was turning to walk away with his dog, when I realised it wasent my dog. Stephen did not even miss it. It gave us both a great laugh. It was nice meeting up with you again Stephen.

There was plenty of Retail Theraphy for the grown ups, from the many Trade stands around the Game Fair and a Fine Food Hall full of beautiful Country food. The kind your mother used to make. Of course the ice cream van was very much in demand all day. I am sure the washing machines were in use all over the country yesterday, getting the little people and the bigger people, all shinned up again.

We were not there on Saturday for the Racing, as our first Grandchild was getting christened in Portadown. She is a little girl, and her name is Maddie Marie Mc Stay. John and myself are just dying about her.She is just beautiful. Hope we live long enough to enjoy her, as she grows up. We had a great day and some lovely food and a few bevvys was had by all.

Here are some Results of the showing on Sunday of Terrier and Whippets, which I have got from Matthew Lee. I am waiting on Matthew to email me the Lurcher Results, and if some body emails me the Racing results I will put them up too.

Childrens Handling Class

1/ Alex Young

2/ Linda Corey

3/ ?

4/ Owen Doherty

5/ Megan Tritton

WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU ALL. A BIG CONGRATULATIONS.

Ladies Handling Class

1/ Dawn English

2/ Collette Gannon

3/ Helen Weir

4/ D Fallows

Gents Handling Class

1/ D Best

2/ Steven Brookes

3/ Kieran Neeson

4/ Robert Fellows

Overall Winners of above Classes

1/ Davy Best

2/ Dawn English

3/ Alex Young

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL

Whippet Pups (Dog )

1/ Joanne Young

2/ John Mc Stay

3/ Michelle Rafferty

Whippet Pup ( Bitch )

1/ John Mc Stay

2/ Ann Forsythe

3/ Michael Quinn

4/ Graham Meek

Overall Puppy Champion

Joanne Young

Reserve Puppy Champion

John Mc Stay

Congratulations to both, and Joanne, we are all so proud of you.

Whippet Dog

1/ Davy Best

2/ Graham Meek

3/ Shane Farrell

4/ John Shaw

Whippet Bitch

1/ Michelle Rafferty

2/ John Shaw

3/ Jason Dunwoody

4/ Allanah Harpur

Working Whippet

1/ Mickey Quinn

2/ Shane Farrell

3/ John Shaw

4/ Gary Kane

Working Whippet Bitch

1/ Kieran Young

2/ Jason Dunwoody

3/ Kieran Neeson

4/ Tracy Gill

Overall Whippet Champion

Davy Best

Reserve Whippet Champion

Mickey Quinn

Hearty Congratulations, and

Well done to both

Terrier Pups

Mike Griffen

Under 12 inches

Dessie Macken

Terrier Pairs

Catherine Slevin

Any Variety of Working Terrier

Dessie Mackin

Jack Russell Dog or Bitch

Dessie Macken

Lakeland Dog or Bitch over 1 year old

Paul Heaslip

Any Fell or Patterdale

Conor Campbell

Borders

Janet Duke

Crossbreed

Dessie Macken

Overall Terrier Champion

Dessie Macken

Reserve Terrier Champion

Conor Campbell

A BIG WELL DONE TO BOTH MEN.

Overall Lurcher Champion

Stephen Dummigan

Reserve Champion

Fiona Devlin

CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH

*Supreme Champion and Best in show *

DESSIE MACKEN

Congratulations Dessie and may you win many more.

A big thank you to all who entered their dogs, in both Racing and Showing . Without you none of this would be possible.

And Finally, may I take this opportunity to thank the Judges for a job well done. Thanks Den and your two friends. Ye had a very hard task to perform, but ye did it with fairness and integrity. I never really got to see what was under that mans kilt.He did give us women a slight flash, but only a tease. Den it was nice to meet up with you again, and sure maybe we will see you at Birr. Bluebell was there in full swing and took some lovely photographs. Many thanks for that Deidre. These phohographs can be seen on Facebook in " Dog Shows in Ireland " The Glen Bank Club, thank you for putting up with us all, and getting our dogs into line. What would we do without yous.

And an old saying is, you always keep the best to last. In this case this is 100% true. Irene and Albertj Tetterington, what can I say that can describe as kind and generous people, the excellent work you do, and the enjoyment you give to so many families across the country through the organisation of your Game Fairs. You give us all something to look forward to through the long cold days and nights of winter.And when Spring breaks into Summer the fun begins and 3 top Game Fairs to look forward too. Many Many thanks Irene and Albert and your team for great Game Fair and a weekend full of happy memories, slightly clouded with the rain, but the blasts of sunshine in between overcome the clouds. Albert, behind every good man is a good woman, and Irene you certainly fill that category.

Now unto Birr. Hope to see you all there.

Margaret Mc Stay

Edited by appleblossom
  • Like 1

Thanks Margaret,

Whatever the weather we try to deliver a show that people enjoy. With three weeks of almost constant rain this was our most challenging yet and with shows such as the Scottish Game Fair and now the Great Yorkshire Show being cancelled there were many rumours that our event was to be cancelled. But through the inherent strengths of the venue, our wet weather plans being implemented and the experience and commitment of our team we managed to deliver one of our best fairs ever. Yes there were problems but the good humour of the crowd in queueing to get in and putting their wet weather gear on with determination to enjoy themselves was impressive and in many ways humbling.

I am sorry Irene did not see Sammy's guests as she worked with special needs kids for many years as my son does now. Sammy and his wife are to be congratulated for their commitment. I think virtually everyone on the forum who saw the kids' joy was touched - so it shows that there is good in most people - sometimes you have to dig a little deeper for it to come out!

Thank you for agreeing to be the terrier, lurcher & whippet correspondent for the magazine - see I am very good at getting good women involved! Apart from your thoroughness in collating results John & you have the completely right attitude to showing - enjoying your day out and your dogs whatever your results.

Albertj