Shooting in my back garden, the law.

It wouldn't hurt to maybe have a digital copy of them all for reference, but it's not like a driving licence where you have to have a copy. :no: Think of them more as a set of rules which get updated every 12 months. As long as you are acting in accordance with them and keep in line with the other legal aspects of shooting an air rifle, you cant go wrong. :thumbs:

Basically that license may change if the number of crows went low etc, which probably never will as its thousands of them. Just.make sure your gun is sub 12, your out the way of public and roads by 50ft and have permission to be on that piece of land. Other than that there's only one other thing ..that's insurance. Your better off looking at laws rather than species as u know what you want to shoot and its in the pest group.

From BASC code of practice for shooting birds

All birds are protected, and although there are seasons when you can legally shoot game, and some wildfowl, they are not suitable quarry for air rifles. However, as long as you are complying with firearms law, you can shoot certain pest bird species. These are covered by general licences which, in simple terms, mean you can shoot the birds listed, provided you have the landowner’s permission and provided you are doing it for one of the reasons allowed by the licence.

These reasons include:

• to protect crops
  • to protect game and wildlife
  • to protect public health or safety

This is from air rifle section and not about game birds as it may look when you read this applys to all pest species of bird

I had the police come round the other week as I'd been plinking in the garden and the neighbour called the police on me and said I was shooting birds and all sorts in the garden...!!

The police came round I let them in showed them what I was shooting which consisted of, one of these knock down targets the squirrel one, + one of them reset targets with the four boars and the reset one all inside the box, also have a few shoot n see's up aswell.......all of this is in front at a 6ft wall of railway sleepers!! And I'm shooting it from 25yards away, all very safe and well within the laws.

The copper just said I had ars-hole neighbours and that it was noted that I'm doing everything as I should and any follow up calls would be handled with this in mind in the future!

Great to deal ith a decent officer that seemed to know what he was talking about, shame about the t*sser next door though!

• Like 1

good to here they didnt overzelously act.. i've had a few dealings that added up to theres arse holes and theres desent coppers about lol. some of the A holes are just going through a learning curve thats just a faise, turns up in management or any other job that concerns power or the likes.. hey ho a pinch of salt and all that.

the first and formost in dealing with the casual sinario is quite simple, some herbert is giving you the old 'yu cant do me copper' spits and squares off at yu, what would you do? or what would you have to to do as the officer? tisnt hard to work out curtacy isnt a bad thing lol.

a 'general' licence is a thing that you know about, i.e. 'generally' theres an exseption thats listed..as long as you know about it and fullfill the condisions, i.e, 'i felt like it' certainly does not help at all lol.. and yeh but no but yeh but yeh but no but will get you trouble lol.

i'd advise getting some range work in for your progresion though, try some lose objects that you can watch and observe as you hit them, it teaches a 3-D effect of what happens when you hit it 'there', just something to try if you like sort of thing.(tunes you in a bit more than a flat target).

I got a new neighbour moving in as we speak..a vicar too.. no doubt il have complaints, but it will consist of f and off, my land lord lives 2doors away, my nextdoor neighbour doesn't mind it and neither did the neighbours before Mr vicar moved in..so I'm just waiting for it, seems a snooty gitt as it is...lol

I got a new neighbour moving in as we speak..a vicar too.. no doubt il have complaints, but it will consist of f and off, my land lord lives 2doors away, my nextdoor neighbour doesn't mind it and neither did the neighbours before Mr vicar moved in..so I'm just waiting for it, seems a snooty gitt as it is...lol

thats as bad as lab-tastic saying you can tell if someone is safe or not by looking at their wellies. he might be a sound bloke, but then again............ :laugh: