Shooting in my back garden, the law.

So the problem I have is that the girlfriend loves to feed all the birds in the garden with fat balls and bird seed everywhere but the feeders and garden are being wreaked by jackdoors, and woodies, there also two magpies that keep coming in.

Would I be ok to shoot these pesky birds with my air rifle? I've got decent back stops behind where the feeders are so the pellet shouldn't leave the premissis but where would I stand if for sake of argument one that was hit managed to fly over the fence into next doors garden? Could I be reported?

The people either side of me are pretty friendly but still..... Better safe than sorry.

:yes: aslong as you only shoot pests on general licence and they are within the boundries of your permission you can shoot them :thumbs:

Just be aware of the neighbours, some might take offence to you shooting, especially if they are bird lovers

ATB

Adam

Ok, thanks for the reply, what is a general licence? I've just bought my rifle from a friend who upgraded to an airwolf

My rifle is a daystate harrier X2 in 177 sub 12ft/lb

If you dont know you should not be shooting live quarry

google it

ATB

Adam

Ok, thanks for the reply, what is a general licence? I've just bought my rifle from a friend who upgraded to an airwolf

google it

ATB

Adam

You only need a general licence to shoot feathered quarry, and even then it doesn't apply to game birds.. Maybe you should get your facts right before getting all high and mighty.. :yes: We all had to start somewhere and that's exactly the sort of message that puts new members off posting...

In short, all birds are protected by law. There are exemptions for certain species which allows them to be taken, and these conditions and species are listed on a general licence issued once a year by the relative government department for your country - England, Scotland, Wales, northern Ireland..

There are various scenarios listed on the licence something like 'To prevent damage to crops' or 'to protect songbird populations', which is the one you'd be shooting the magpies under, for instance.

More information can be found here (England)

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/licences/generallicences.aspx#1

google it

ATB

Adam

You only need a general licence to shoot feathered quarry, and even then it doesn't apply to game birds.. Maybe you should get your facts right before getting all high and mighty.. :yes: We all had to start somewhere and that's exactly the sort of message that puts new members off posting...

In short, all birds are protected by law. There are exemptions for certain species which allows them to be taken, and these conditions and species are listed on a general licence issued once a year by the relative government department for your country - England, Scotland, Wales, northern Ireland..

There are various scenarios listed on the licence something like 'To prevent damage to crops' or 'to protect songbird populations', which is the one you'd be shooting the magpies under, for instance.

More information can be found here (England)

http://www.naturalen...licences.aspx#1

What facts did i get wrong malt?

It wasnt intended in a negative way, was just to point out before you go shooting the pigeons they you need to know exactly what you can shoot.

Sorry if it caused offence

ATB

Adam

No offence caused Adam, I just took issue with the way you worded your post mate. :thumbs:

You stated that he shouldn't be shooting 'live quarry' if he didnt know what the general licences were, well that's not strictly true seeing as you don't need a licence for shooting rats, rabbits, squirrels, etc. Given that this chap does intend to shoot birds and appears to be new to it, maybe a few pointers in the general direction of the licences and a bit if information about them would have more helpful. :thumbs:

AR177 - no worries, it is hard to gauge tone on a forum. :thumbs:

Hi Malt, ya your right,new to this sort of thing which is why i joined the forum and started the post rather than just going streight out and killing things.

I've been practicing for a good while now and can get good groups now which is why i feel i would atleast be able to take out a bird or two in an as humanly way as possible.

Ive also nearly finished building a night vision set up fter seeing the NS200 kits i thought i'd have a good go at making as theres chance of abit of ratting at my grans farm building.

Ive had a brief look through the licence link you posted above but there seams to be lots of different ones that at first glance seam to cover the same things. Do you know which one would be best suited to my origonal post? i have looked and would guess the general licence WML-A08 but on reading the application form it asks for the address of the problem and what has been done already.

Does this mean i would have to fill out a form for every property i would like to shoot on? i have read about people "gaining permissions" and haveing the correct paperwork to shoot on these sites, but would i still have to do these for say shooting on my grans farm or at my parents house if the licence form was filled in for my house?

Sorry for all the questions but i want to get it right. :bye:

Matt

Rats, rabbits, pigeons,crows,magpies , squirrel thetre are a few more but that's the general quarry people shoot at,as long as you have permission (better in writing) stating that your allowed to do so an 50ft away from public road etc, using safe backdrops if you were to miss etc..crack on, nothing they can do. Except keep your gun legal and insurance wouldn't go a miss either..happy shooting

From the forms it would appear not , although it does seam abit over the top for someone shooting a known "pest" especially when there's no requirement for it for rats, rabbits and squirrels although I can see how this could be over looked as the internet is full or forums with people showing what they have shot and YouTube is full of videos but there's little mensioned about what licences you need unless you go and look for it.

As until I posted this topic it was the first I new of any licence with regard to air rifles other than the F A C licence for 12ft/lb + rifles.

Know I know there's abit more to it I'll spend abit of time to make sure I'm ligal before shooting any birds in the garden.

Matt

You don't have to fill anything out or even have a physical copy of the licence. It's more like a public list issued each year detailing the conditions laid down for the taking of certain bird species.

This is the one I think would be applicable in your scenario:

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/wml-gl06_tcm6-24151.pdf