ferret kit not moving his back legs

i think i have the same problem with one of my kits i got last night, its just breathing heavy, and not really using its back legs, i think its Calcium deficiency, so got some goats milk last night and feeding it on raw chicken wings, looks a bit happier today, but going to get some kitten milk from pets at home and hopefully this will gets it on its feet. ATB with it mate

took mine to the vets today he seems to think its a spinal abcess im not convinced he didnt seem sure what it was id say hes a little bit brighter today but im just keeping my fingers crossed he gave him a shot of antibiotics a shot of calcium and told me to go back tomorrow for the same, i think everyone on here has the right answer and its calcium deficency but why the heavy breathing??

Was probably breathing heavily as it's alot of work getting around when legs aren't working. Your vet won't know for sure if it's a spinal abscess unless they carry out some costly diagnostics. Just find it odd that only 1 kit out of 8 has a calcium deficiency. Anyway, glad to hear recovery has started, hope back to 100% in no time. Atb.

I had a ferret with a broken back, I was going to try swimming but read if you put them in water straight away will just stress them out maybe completely put them off eating.

I focused on giving him raw chicken wings, whole turkey mince and he built himself and his muscles up in no time.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing!

theres a thread above this one about calcium deficiency mate,,the fella involved managed to pull his kit round ok,,it made full recovery,,read it,,there may be something in there of use to you bud,,god luck with the little stinker,,ATB DAVE

Have a look at this site: http://www.smallanim...utrition-2.aspx

Calcium deficiency was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title. :yes: Mate of mine had one exactly the same, I read up on it for him and it came right once he'd put it on a diet of raw chicken wings. This has been on here a few times before over the years, so I don't think it's all that uncommon. :thumbs:

Good call !

I had a jill years back which was the same. I got hold of the late Fred Taylor who said 'calcium deficiency' His suggestion was small mammals and birds so she got mice and sparrows! Also gave her crushed calcium tablets in milk (not a whole one) She pulled through and worked for another 4 years!

• Like 1

Well, that explains it all, including the breathing issues. Sorry to hear about your kit, but at least you had the sense to get an x-ray rather than assuming it was a calcium deficiency. Sad news though, but you did the right thing. Atb.

Calcium defeciency in kits causes the spine deformity as well as the back legs just acting as flippers mate. The back legs go first then the spine twists like an s shape causing the breathing problems and you usually find the ferret cant grip even with the front paws.Happens a lot in kits that are hand reared after their mother has died ect.

Well, that explains it all, including the breathing issues. Sorry to hear about your kit, but at least you had the sense to get an x-ray rather than assuming it was a calcium deficiency. Sad news though, but you did the right thing. Atb.

Calcium defeciency in kits causes the spine deformity as well as the back legs just acting as flippers mate. The back legs go first then the spine twists like an s shape causing the breathing problems and you usually find the ferret cant grip even with the front paws.Happens a lot in kits that are hand reared after their mother has died ect.

Yep, I understand that. Sorry state of affairs regarding dead jills and kits reared on a diet that poor it causes such severe deformities. In this case the kit had 7 healthy siblings, really indicating something other than calcium deficiency being a major issue. How/why the deformity developed could be one of many things, but at least this owner got an x-ray and did the right thing. As the vet didn't seem to note any spinal deformity on exam/palpation, it again would indicate something other than calcium deficiency. IMO, the kit was born with the deformity and wish the best to the owner and other 7 thriving kits.

Always goes for hobs first as they are growing at a quicker rate than the jills so their bones dont develope properly with the lack of calcium.I have reared a couple of orphaned litters over the years and seen this happen on both occasions.A jills milk cannot be replicated perfectly and there is nothing you can do untill they are weaned and believe me if you have hand reared kits for a few weeks you want them on solids as quickly as possible.This is when the calcium defeciency starts to really kick in, just after weaning and you will start to notice it first in the legs and next the spine goes a funny shape which in turn effects breathing.Not all will get it ,and in my experience it usually effects the bigger hob kits first,it can be halted and reversed if you can get it quick enough.Goats milk bashed up chicken wings and Beaphar bone builder sprinked over the top usually does the trick.Have never heard of it happen with normally reared kits and has never happened to me with normally reared kits just with the hand reared ones and on both occassions.