food costs ?

hey well im interested in getting a couple of ferrets and was just wondering how much a week it costs you to feed your ferrets and what yous feed them on and how many you got.

im still at school so just making sure i can afford them first, got £160 saved atm but going to need to buy a hutch first.

im not 100% im aloud to get them but just making sure i would be able to look after them correctly

thanks

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

[/quote i wish i was closer mate, it seems like no one near me ferrets :/ i havnt even been out ferreting before but i know i will like it but its just getting to no the ropes thanks mate   than

mine cost very little if anything to feed. but i do have the use of a large freezer for dog/ferret food. they have any chickens that i cull as im breed them, rabbits, crows, and im also lucky to have

hey well im interested in getting a couple of ferrets and was just wondering how much a week it costs you to feed your ferrets and what yous feed them on and how many you got.   im still at school s

firstly its great to see someone looking into the basics before getting ferrets, well done.

It depends on what kind of diet you want to feed them and how many your getting. I feed mine dry biscuits and they get raw everyday.

If your getting 1/2, small bag of dry food (about a fiver, will last about 3 week or so. But they need meat also.

They get rabbits theirself in the winter and i get pheasants a pigeons given for em. I buy chicken wings from supermarket theyre about £1.50 and will feed mine for a few days. You can feed em any kind of unprocessed meats. They also get value mince (frozen) its about £1.30 ro something and will do a few feedings.

They also get a few raw eggs once a week and sardines in oil out of a tin.

I give mine lactofree once/twice a week aswell (milk) they dont need it but as a treat they love it.

Check out ebay for hutch's and gumtree. Put some money aside incase they need to go to a vet and add to it.

Edited by joe14

feed em ferret complete dry mix and plenty of water...plus all the live game you can catch/shoot./snare etc etc...they neeed flesh and bones.

I would go through this section and read all you can...maybe get to know someone local who keeps and works them who might show you the ropes.

if not theres plenty of people on here who know there stuff...If your genuine and dont act daft ,and ask reasonable questions,you will receive good advice and help from some very decent chaps.

good luck.

firstly its great to see someone looking into the basics before getting ferrets, well done.

It depends on what kind of diet you want to feed them and how many your getting. I feed mine dry biscuits and they get raw everyday.

If your getting 1/2, small bag of dry food (about a fiver, will last about 3 week or so. But they need meat also.

They get rabbits theirself in the winter and i get pheasants a pigeons given for em. I buy chicken wings from supermarket theyre about £1.50 and will feed mine for a few days. You can feed em any kind of unprocessed meats. They also get value mince (frozen) its about £1.30 ro something and will do a few feedings.

They also get a few raw eggs once a week and sardines in oil out of a tin.

I give mine lactofree once/twice a week aswell (milk) they dont need it but as a treat they love it.

Check out ebay for hutch's and gumtree. Put some money aside incase they need to go to a vet and add to it.

okay mate thank you, mum was doing her shopping at tescos there and i was having a look at the price of chicken wings and chicken drumsticks dont no if there aloud them tho ? was just on gumtree and there a two tier hutch for #340 about 15min away from me wouldnt mind getting the hutch now even will have to check with the boss ha

feed em ferret complete dry mix and plenty of water...plus all the live game you can catch/shoot./snare etc etc...they neeed flesh and bones.

I would go through this section and read all you can...maybe get to know someone local who keeps and works them who might show you the ropes.

if not theres plenty of people on here who know there stuff...If your genuine and dont act daft ,and ask reasonable questions,you will receive good advice and help from some very decent chaps.

good luck.

cheers mate :) can they eat fish too :o will keep them sensible been serious about this for a while now been on this forum for an hour or 2 at least every night just first night doing a post in ages.

nothing mate they get what the dogs catch lol how many ferrets you getting

aww thats lucky ha the ferrets will be my only way of hunting so if they will be eating what they bolt and what i buy ha im hoping to get two mate. but dont no what would be best jill/hob or two jills :s i really want a jill for some reason but its the whole bringing them out of season is it that hard mate ?

Pets at home had a double hutch last week that was £100.

Easily big enough for two or three. Although they would need to be out for about four hours daily. Best to build a nice big run connecting to the hutch. Or do what I did and ferret prof the garden.( this can be very tricky) are you getting them to hunt or pets. Or a bit of both. My three prob cost me no more than a £4 per week on avarage. They thrive on chicken wings and drumsticks. Wings are about £1.70 per kg at morrisons. Also go shopping with your mum and look for meat that's been put in the cheep section. (mince,chicken,turkey,)

I personally don't use the dry food apart from a back up.

I used fleece bedding that you can get in primark or ikia for £2 each.

I don't use shreded paper as it takes a lot longer to clean the hutch. Instead mine have litter trays. One up and one down. With cat litter the paper type from pets at home. A 25kg bag would cost you about £10 and last at least a month.

Have you looked on any ferret forums. They have lots of help for people starting out.

You biggest out lay would prob be neutering. This can range from £30 to £70 depending on your local vets. But you would only be getting this done next year if you are after kits.

If you need more info mate pm me.

• Like 1

mate if i can hoke out the spare box its yours if i can find the thing dont need 3 things to do 1 job

cheers mate ! and thanks for your help... going to see if my granda can find me someone to go out with but more than likely not his hunting career is nearly over :/