What to do after work

After I finished work yesterday, I reckoned it was time to put my new Hawke 400 flashy range finder to the test. Phoned up the landlord of a permission I secured a couple weeks back and got the go-ahead.

Loading up the car with the gear, I noticed that it was not going to be an easy one. The wind was pounding, with some significant gusts. Figuring that even if I get nothing, it will be time well spent familiarizing myself with the land, doing some range finding to store in the memory bank for later use, I drove off.

As it was my first time there since asking for permission a couple weeks back, had a good chat and a few laughs with the landowner, and also got that important "Do and Don'ts" from him. I rank getting a personal relationship going with the landowner as quite high up there, as it makes life so much easier (and your hunting so much more enjoyable) if you and the owner can have a laugh together.

So, jumped into my army camos, loaded up the MFR and off we went. Not really expecting much, walked into the first field and scared away about 6 Wood pigeons just sitting there in plain sight. Not a great start to the evening. With a quick under the breath --words no child should hear-- at myself, I got into the mind set. As the ground is sloping down, then up from where I stood, I could see quite a clear picture of the field. Looking through the 6 mag of the LRF, I noticed a few bunnies spread along the far side of the field, close to the tree-line. The disadvantage of the slope though was that the bunnies were all on their hind legs, looking at me! So, I decided that there is no point in trying to stalk about 300 meters in plain sight.

I decided to see how ‘wild’ the bunnies are, by walking slowly towards them and see at what point they will scatter. This “getting a feel for the animals” have done me good on numerous occasions back home hunting in South Africa. I also made a point to see where the bunnies are scattering too, so that I can make a mental note of their warrens. After having to fish a dead bunny which dropped into a warren while doing its nerve kicking, I decided that it is better to shoot bunnies a few meters away from the rabbit hole.

After they dashed only at about 80 meters, it seemed that they have not been shot at too much. I continued my walk up to the vicinity of the warrens, checking for cover I can use later etc. Some long grass to my right, between me and a decent sized warren, looked like it would provide the necessary cover for a stalk. With this position marked, I turned to go and inspect the other fields.

Those fields were pretty hard to see anything in, as the grass came up to my waist. Luckily the owner told me that he’s got a guy coming in the next few weeks to cut it, so would be good to see if I can see if there are some activity. Spotted quite a few droppings and little “paths”, so can’t wait for that grass to be trimmed!

Anyway, I decided to make my way back to that spot with the long grass to see if I can at least get something to take home. Turing into the 1st field, this time from a different angle, I used the long grass to cover my stalk to the warren. Staying low and moving at a muscle achingly slow pace, I made my way through the grass towards the warren. About 40 meters to go, I slowly got up to see if I can see something, and spotted these 2 ears bobbing about, the head obscured by the grass. Great, I could barely see him, so the reverse will also be true. Stalk…

Took a zap at the grass knoll he was behind, and the little hawke told me it was 27 meters from me. I slowly got into a FT position, moving about till I can get as clear a path for the pellet as possible between the long grass seeds. Finding one, I settled in, and the wait started… The question was who was going to budge first, me, the gusting wind or the bunny. After about 15 minutes, 2 things happened nearly at once. The wind died down, and I got a text! But before I could let rip some really harsh and disgusting words about how someone dare to text me while I’m out hunting (not at me for forgetting to turn off my mobile), the bunny moved about a foot from it’s original position, sitting up…. The .20 FTT struck true, nicely between eye and ear…

As I felt a rain drop on my cheek, I decided to head home. Still have to do the thing I least enjoy about hunting, the gutting and skinning…

post-51517-0-24302700-1339751294.jpg

Thanks guys! You are probably going to chuckle about my reason for a .20, but it is a decision I do not regret one bit. In SA, the airgun laws are a bit different than here in the UK. You can have a .177 or .20 without restriction on power (my brother owns a 30 ft/lbs .20 down there) without the need for a license. However, if you own a .22 air rifle, even a sub 12, you need a firearms license. So, I figured I wanted something with a bit bigger than a .177, but still legal to take to SA if I were to move there one day again. :)

As I said, you probably had a chuckle about that. Anyway, I love the .20. For me it is easier to shoot at range than with a friend's .22, and still packs quite a punch.

Having said that, I am currently looking at getting a .177 AA 510 superlite. The missus is struggling a bit with the weight of the theoben, and tried the superlite a while back and fell in love with it. Perfect excuse for a 2nd air rifle... hehehe!!!

• 2 weeks later...