Inspiration

Personally I've been lucky enough to meet a few good lads over the years who have inspired me in hunting and had a walk out with a lot of them.

When I was a nipper it was my cousin Dave and to a lesser extent my uncle Peter and then later still my cousin Matt, but as I've got older there's plenty of lads that have inspired me to greater things....a few of whom are on here. I think we're spoilt for choice with field sports writing at the moment too and some of the books I have read have been outstanding. Lloydy's one was superb as was Dooley's and Darcy has been just what we needed (even though he's a big nosed messer). Another author I really rate is Chris Breen in EDRD and I always look out for his stuff.

The little community we have here is a godsend and whether reading them, walking out with them or knowing them, there are folks who push me on to become a better hunter.

So I guess what I'm asking is who is your inspiration, if you have one?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i think i can't be arsed to do something, or don't want to do something more to the point. Now and then i think what my sister-in-law would do :icon_redface:

She's been disabled since birth and would love to be able to walk about and get up and do the things we all take for granted, so that, in a sort of queer way is a bit of inspiration to me.

Other things like the Lions tour to South Africa video, stirring stuff. Several national anthems, the London marches brought a lump to my throat with the sense of togetherness normally only seen in a football ground.

Guest Lurcherbitch

There is no ONE person that has inspired me. I have met so many great.dodgy/genuine people over the years and most have gave me a kick/slap////boot/helping hand.........................f*****g hell i have met some swell people (or want of a better word)

So in a nutshell you lot are to blame for the woman i am today :icon_eek::blink::laugh::D .

Guest MOLLY

It was definately the dogs who gave me the first inspiration, to do the very best i could for them, their holistic care not just physical. They turned me from a person who believed all the media hype about hunting into the more rounded knowledgeable person i am now (I hope)

Then of course Millet has taught me sooo much, his knowledge of all things living, and then how to deal with all things once dead :D

Apart from these, ive got to say over the years it has been the information ive read on the hunting forums, and the fantastic people i can now access to ask 'how', 'why' and 'what if'.

And i now even have people asking me.....so some of it must have rubbed off :o

MOLL.

Without arse licking too much one of my inspirations has been Ditch for many reasons; least of all being able to drone on for hours over the years about traps, traps and more traps with a likeminded soul.

Really the most inspiring character in my life has been my father for showing me 'dad' things like fishing, bird nesting, fire lighting and for making me cry with laughter with his inventions over the years when he has been cost-cutting to save pennies in the name of fieldsports - the wooden snare maker and the pigeon magnet were two particularly hilarious episodes.

And my first 'keeper boss, who despite being a self centred, miserable :censored: showed me things that you cannot find in any book, and an old romany traveller mush by the name of Fuffer who taught me how to shoot everything with a catapult, how to make nets and the old gypsy ways ;)

OTC

Stabs you big mincer :laugh: Apart from my girls I was "inspired" to take up hunting after reading Plummer books as a kid :icon_redface: I had a break from hunting and concentrated on training sport dogs for a few years until I popped to a local terrier show three years ago and picked up runningdog addiction and dig deep, Darcys books inspired me and I realised what I had been missing and got back into ratching around with terrier, shottie and air rifle. To be honest some of the members on here have been an inspiration too :thumbs-up: Next year i'll be getting my first lurcher after making collies and shepherds into second rate lamping/mooching curs :D So no doubt i'll be after advice :victory: