USA vs. Europe...

Not sure where this will go but I'd like to start off by saying that I'm from the USA and have never even gotten to visit Europe. I've only been on this forum for a few weeks and I don't know much about any of the countries in Europe. What I have noticed is that there sure seems to be a lot more rules over there. It seems to me like it's the land where nothing is allowed. I have only a small understanding of your gun laws and even less of your game laws. I just know there are a lot of them!

What keeps you folks over there? Don't bother responding if you answer is "family". I understand that and I'm right there with you if that is what is keeping you from moving to the states. But for those of you who don't have many ties there, what keeps the hunters from moving to the US?

This is all very interesting and I would like to say thank you, in advance.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

laws only apply when caught

AFRICA ffs.get us a bit of that stuff yer smoking.

I find it a bit arrogant that you think we should all move to your country because of what you read on a forum. American hunting floats my boat as much as your sports do. Lots of lights, dazzle dazzle

Posted Images

Pauluas- Well, that goes for anywhere. Of course, the game wardens are outfitted on the US tax dollars so they run around with night vision and helocopters. Kind of hard to dodge that. You can turn a light out and back into a bush but the IR cameras will tell the heat signature of a fart in the mud.

Coneykenny- I understand that, I'm mostly a small game hunter myself. I only go bear hunting in the summer because there isn't much else to do in the daytime. That being said, we have hundreds of thousands of acres of public hunting land and you just don't have to worry about permission most of the time. Of course, some of it is a bit of a drive depending on where you choose to live but if you put yourself deep in the country, you wouldn't have to worry about that much. I can walk off my place and hunt or I can drive for 10 mintues and hunt for a week without getting onto someones property. Do you folks have access to large tracks of land?

Pauluas- Well, that goes for anywhere. Of course, the game wardens are outfitted on the US tax dollars so they run around with night vision and helocopters. Kind of hard to dodge that. You can turn a light out and back into a bush but the IR cameras will tell the heat signature of a fart in the mud.

Coneykenny- I understand that, I'm mostly a small game hunter myself. I only go bear hunting in the summer because there isn't much else to do in the daytime. That being said, we have hundreds of thousands of acres of public hunting land and you just don't have to worry about permission most of the time. Of course, some of it is a bit of a drive depending on where you choose to live but if you put yourself deep in the country, you wouldn't have to worry about that much. I can walk off my place and hunt or I can drive for 10 mintues and hunt for a week without getting onto someones property. Do you folks have access to large tracks of land?

not as large as over yours,but ive got more than enough to keep me happy :thumbs:

I doubt I'll ever get the chance to come over there and go hunting with some of you (not that I wouldn't want to) with the way the world is shaping up lately. Even with all of the differences, I would like to see it and get the experience. Where lurchers are concerned, there is just not much of it here. Not compared to most other types of hunting.

It's all very interesting.

Do any of you venture down into Africa to screw around with all of the different varieties of game they have there?

How long would you say it took to drive to the edge of Africa from there?

That's one thing I would like to do before I'm gone. I would like to go to Africa and have a chance to run every species of cat there. There is quite a few and more than I know of I think.

What kinds of cats are there to hunt on the islands?

I doubt I'll ever get the chance to come over there and go hunting with some of you (not that I wouldn't want to) with the way the world is shaping up lately. Even with all of the differences, I would like to see it and get the experience. Where lurchers are concerned, there is just not much of it here. Not compared to most other types of hunting.

It's all very interesting.

Do any of you venture down into Africa to screw around with all of the different varieties of game they have there?

How long would you say it took to drive to the edge of Africa from there?

That's one thing I would like to do before I'm gone. I would like to go to Africa and have a chance to run every species of cat there. There is quite a few and more than I know of I think.

What kinds of cats are there to hunt on the islands?

only 2 types round by me :thumbs:

post-896-0-29792800-1337533159_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-35918000-1337533171.jpg

ferret featues- As I said, I've never been over there. In fact, I've only been out of the US once and it was on a 22 day canoe trip into Canada and I was farther away from the nearest house than ever. Why don't folks go to Africa to hunt? Is it all of the boarder crossings? Political brick walls, so to speak? If I want to get in my truck tomorrow and drive to Chili (the fartherst South you can drive from here) I could do just that (I think). Sure, there are some things to watch out for along the way but it's possible. I'd have to figure out when the coolest time of the year is and just go. In fact, they have quite a few cats down there that I've never seen outside of a zoo also. I might have to put that on my list. For the mean time though (baby coming in Aug.), I'll have to settle for learning about lurchers and figuring out what all of you are doing over there. :hmm:

Do you have any other cats besides domestic and feral farm-cats? No bobcats? I saw a type of wildcat on a documentary once that was from somewhere over there but it just looking like regular domestic cat.

We have several sub-species of bobcat, lynx, and cougar (mtn. lion). Every once in a while you'll hear about someone treeing a leopard or one of the smaller S. American varieties.

Do you have any other cats besides domestic and feral farm-cats? No bobcats? I saw a type of wildcat on a documentary once that was from somewhere over there but it just looking like regular domestic cat.

We have several sub-species of bobcat, lynx, and cougar (mtn. lion). Every once in a while you'll hear about someone treeing a leopard or one of the smaller S. American varieties.

Domestic, feral cats and also the scottish wildcat which is a protected species ;)

coupleof problems.

1. its damn hard to get any kind of greencard to ship out to the states on any kind of permanent basis

2. its damn hard to drive to africa, loads of border crossings and visas and all that stuff

3. it would be impossible to take dogs or firearms because of quarantine laws to bring the dogs back and because of the red tape shipping guns overseas and even more to get them home again!

4. to go on any kind of long distance driving tour would mean time off work, and most of us just can't afford that, we're really scratching about here

5. the cost of going on any kind of organised hunting safari would be just too much for most of us too, it would cost more than most of us earn in two or three months

so much as many of us would like to be more adventurous, it really isn't practical to do much exotic hunting as we're struggling to make ends meet

just have a look at a map of europe to see how many countries you would have to cross to get to africa.....

• Like 1

I ask my self that question a lot mate, and in a couple more years, once a few thngs are finished, me and my girlfriend are off, to buy somewhere over seas, and leave these shores behind, hopefully somewhere with much better hunting.

As for driving to Africa, you could be in North Africa in a couple of days from getting on the boat over the channel. Taking dogs would be a lot of red tape, but is possible, but it'd be better to go local and just watch local dogs, which if you knew the right folk and had a handle on the language / help, would not be too hard, enthusiasts tend to get a long. Hard but possible.

coupleof problems.

1. its damn hard to get any kind of greencard to ship out to the states on any kind of permanent basis

2. its damn hard to drive to africa, loads of border crossings and visas and all that stuff

3. it would be impossible to take dogs or firearms because of quarantine laws to bring the dogs back and because of the red tape shipping guns overseas and even more to get them home again!

4. to go on any kind of long distance driving tour would mean time off work, and most of us just can't afford that, we're really scratching about here

5. the cost of going on any kind of organised hunting safari would be just too much for most of us too, it would cost more than most of us earn in two or three months

so much as many of us would like to be more adventurous, it really isn't practical to do much exotic hunting as we're struggling to make ends meet

just have a look at a map of europe to see how many countries you would have to cross to get to africa.....

Maybe you need to have a look at a map. . . it's only one, or maximum two countrys you need to drive across.