UEFA Euro 2012

f*****g excellent post gnasher :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: I did a bit of leg pulling during englands time there but I won't now. I know what it's like supporting a poor team. You guys did well with what you had. Football is in decline on these

shores and I can't see that changing in my

lifetime. I was watching the Germans the other day and I soon realized how poor football is in general now. We applaud a team for stringing more than 6 passes together. Even the great

brazil are losing their flare. They have turned all European in their play. Football is Definately on

the decline worldwide. Just our shores are leading the downward trend.

lol yea brazil are shit... :laugh: if they dont win the next world cup ill eat my hat... ;)

Sometimes Stewie it's best to keep quiet and be thought a fool than open your mouth and confirm it :) where did I say brazil was shit? I said they are losing their flare. You might be too young to remember brazil of old, they were unplayable. They did things with the ball no man had a right to. Their one touch football round the box had

you scratching your head wondering how they did it. As I say, nowadays they have lost much of that flare and look European. Still a very good side and while their country remains poor, I'm sure that will continue.

when was the last time you seen brazil play then.. :hmm:

They have been put out of the last 2 world cups at the Quarter Finals, so what's your point? They aren't as flamboyant as they used to be. Maybe it's to do with more of their players playing in Europe.

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i love it when england play late afternoon games because i go fishing and theres nobody around i can always watch them get beat when i get home

Malt there is nothing on this green planet I want more than to see England get humped. You can call that small minded, pathetic, whatever. It's called rivalry and any real football fan will know what

C'mon Ireland !!

Posted Images

I actually think Baw has a really interesting theory with this European style thing.....im not sure i agree with it but its something ive not heard before that certainly makes you think and it has to be said there is some logic to it......

I dont go a bundle on statistics as they can sometimes be made to look however you want them to look......and the fact the last 3 out of 4 world cups have been won by European nations somewhat throws his theory to shit......but i like his thoughts regards Torres thats definately a theory that holds a lot of weight..........

Maybe the reality is Baw the European style is simply proving to be more effective and so nations like Brazil/Argies are having to adapt to that the same way as we in Britain have to adapt from a different angle...................certainly an interesting logic though mate i like it :thumbs:

Lol cheers gnash. You watch brazil the next time they are on, definitely less gung ho and flamboyant. They still have cracking players but where in the past they were allowed free reign to show off their skills, they seem more restrained and all European. I know I prefered the old brazil, f**k defenders, if they score we will score 2. But as you say, the European style seems to win trophies. I definitely think it's to do with more brazilians playing in Europe for Barcelona etc.

I guess it could be said Brazil were always the Harlem Globetrotters of the football world......and that level of skill in itself was enough to achieve success.....................at the other end of the scale the British strength pace and dogged determination mentality is enough to get a little success also...................but todays top sides like the Germans and maybe even the Italians and Portugese possibly have the correct combination of both...................maybe the Spanish are leaning more towards the old Brazilian mentality and getting away with it due to higher fitness levels etc......but individually a player in our league like Torres has been exposed in many ways..................as maybe a Pele or Zico would in our league............

We was having the natter last week about how our Premiership was the making of a fast powerful lad like Ronaldo but would probably be the breaking of a player like Messi...................think you might be onto something there.

Edited by gnasher16

Torres is a strange one. It might just be down to mental strength or maybe the money has took away his appetite. Hard to judge with one example. Look at fabergas, done him no harm but is that down to wenger? We had juninhio at Celtic, talented guy, wasn't there long but he kind of struggled with the Scottish way. I don't think our weather helps much either. I just don't see the kids today being dedicated enough to put the devotion needed to become a top footballer. It's no coincidence our best players came in times when the country was poor, parents working down mines etc. I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference what structure we have at grass levels, the attitude nowadays isn't right. Here gnash, meant to ask. I was watching that game last night and the stadium looked awesome. I thought about you and was meaning to ask, what's the stadiums like? We look at the polish etc as third class citizens but it looks like we are wrong.

Got to disagree with you about the grass roots Baw , Imo it all stems from there ,it,s already been mentioned about kids playing on full size pitches ,add to that it,s far to competitive at too young an age , when it should be about individual coaching and making each kid a better player the emphisis is on having a succesful team as the sight of parents and coaches yelling and screaming at 10 year old kids everyweekend testifies , kids whoare slow to develop physically are left behind , faults in technique that would take a half hour of coaching to sort out are overlooked , its all bigger ,faster ,stronger and winning ,and until there is a complete change in the way we treat our kids we will continue to be second rate .

• Like 1

Oh I agree with you there Stan, I just don't think kids have the same desire to be a footballer. Back when we were kids all you had was football or maybe boxing. Now kids are more likely wanting to be pop stars etc. When the greats of old made it, they prob made it out of hundreds of talented kids all really good. The standards are lower now in my opinion, but so is the pool of talent to chose from. Where you had 1 in a thousand to pick, it's probably 1 in 10 now. Hardly see a kid with a ball but I hope your right and something can be done.

Torres is a strange one. It might just be down to mental strength or maybe the money has took away his appetite. Hard to judge with one example. Look at fabergas, done him no harm but is that down to wenger? We had juninhio at Celtic, talented guy, wasn't there long but he kind of struggled with the Scottish way. I don't think our weather helps much either. I just don't see the kids today being dedicated enough to put the devotion needed to become a top footballer. It's no coincidence our best players came in times when the country was poor, parents working down mines etc. I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference what structure we have at grass levels, the attitude nowadays isn't right. Here gnash, meant to ask. I was watching that game last night and the stadium looked awesome. I thought about you and was meaning to ask, what's the stadiums like? We look at the polish etc as third class citizens but it looks like we are wrong.

He was 32/33 at the time......... :thumbs: Infact my bluenosed mate loved him when he was with Middlesbourough, even had a strip with his name on the back.......Then he came to Celtic.........oh how i laughed..... :toast:

Aye he was getting on lol. To be fair he wasn't too bad, just everyone was expecting wonders lol

He was shit!! English reject............didnt want him anyway......... :whistling::D

The kids today are spoilt , lazy ,got too many other things to do , never see them playing footie anymore , .....I heard all that when I was a kid in the eariy 60.sBaw , it,s just how we percieve the generations that come after us , the kids today have the same ambition and desire that they have always had .

• Like 1