Deer hunting with Lurchers, before the ban.

Guest FTBBTH

Guest FTBBTH

Hi just wanting to know about deer hunting BEFORE THE BAN, the main thing i want to ask, has anybody seen a dog take a red stag preban, and if so what was the breeding and how did it cope? another thing can muntjacs cause serious injury to dogs or just minor?

Thanks!

pre ban talk only

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Waste of time these deer thread's they alway's get pulled and the last few ive seen on here that got pulled never seen folk's putting photo's on seen a few slightly heated debate's that's about it adm

NODEERMAN

Get darcy book on hunting deer this topic will be deleted in time

It's not talking about it that does everyone's head in..its the people who think its clever to start posting pics up of recent trips out..

youve hit the nail on the head, history its is, however certain people seem not to understand the word.

there should be plenty pics as well there books on it and they bred the deerhound for it deercoursing , and when yo go into the high country you see plenty reds so there not rare , there more deer than bunnies hares in some areas , a good stout dog and a wise man can feed a family and freinds in past tense when it was legal , only amatuers need to take pics and put them on a comp as realy its no big deal ,,the big deal is well getting home safely butchering etc ,but there deer dogs and there real deer dogs who are as good as a gun on some species ,

• Like 1

Iv seen some bad Munty injuryes, Its mainly just skin tears but you do get the odd muscel rip also,

Remeber one day a fellah i used too do a bit, Now this dog was a decent deer dog. And iam sure it was the 3rd of the day when he hit a buck and it tore his front right shoulder mucsel, It honeslty looked like youve slashed the dog with a cut throat deep nasty injury that one, Couple of inch deep by 4/5'' long but it didnt half do some damage to the muscel and throw veins/artieres had too take socks off and wrap round the wound as he was loseing some blood and we were a few mile from the car.(Dog was fine and worked perfect after that)

Thats the worst iv seen on munty, Like i say most are just skin tears/odd punture wounds, If it where these days dont think id be without a staple gun on them

• Like 1

seen lurchers take red hinds,never stags tho,there were taken up in the tops of scotland by deerhound/greyhounds i used to hunt with old tom reily,who used to do the write ups in the ED RD he had a good line of deerhound lurchers for years,ive a few pics but i dont want the anits geting hold of them

seen lurchers take red hinds,never stags tho,there were taken up in the tops of scotland by deerhound/greyhounds i used to hunt with old tom reily,who used to do the write ups in the ED RD he had a good line of deerhound lurchers for years,ive a few pics but i dont want the anits geting hold of them

old tom was full of shit aswell ........

when was you going up there ?....i went up there a lot from 87 -91 for couple of weeks at time, they did take the smaller scottish stag and i seen them take them in day time too. Edited by DEERMAN

but he caught the stuff belive me and his dogs didnt jack at what they were used for

A mates bitch used to be a good deer dog (wheaten/deerhound/bitza) took goat as well, another of his mates had the offspring of that bitch sired by a sal grey.. He was doing well but had to stop hunting deer not long after he started thanks to our last gov bringing in the ban on deer... he just shoots them now

but he caught the stuff belive me and his dogs didnt jack at what they were used for

neirther do mine.. still talked shit tho....