do i need to separate my jills???

i need some advice i have two jills in a two tear hutch one of them is in kit and the other has just been taken out of season they are sisters and have been together all there life but do i need to seperate them before the kits are born or is it ok to leave them together?

i can seperate the top tear from the bottom but i dont want to if its not nesasary.

There sisters they have been together all there life ,its stressful enough for a jill to give birth with separating them from somebody shes lived all her life with .

Your wife gives birth do you get separated and told come back when the kids 18 :hmm:

Your wife gives birth do you get separated and told come back when the kids 18 :hmm:

No, but there isn't much talk of human women eating their offspring (other than in parts of Stoke and Wigan). It is entirely possible that they may get along, but it is also possible that the pregnant jill will become extremely defensive and fight her sister.

If you aren't going to separate them, at least put a second sleeping/nest box in so that the jill can make her own decision. If she appears to be driving her sister away as it gets close to time then split them up to be on the safe side.

Edited by Tug
  • Like 1

i split them last night and they seemed to be stressed today when i went to see them, so i left them for the day to see how they were but when i got back in they were no better so they are now back together i think im being soft but il just have to hope they can live together when the kits are born thanks for all the advice tho.

i will keep a close eye on them

i split them last night and they seemed to be stressed today when i went to see them, so i left them for the day to see how they were but when i got back in they were no better so they are now back together i think im being soft but il just have to hope they can live together when the kits are born thanks for all the advice tho.

i will keep a close eye on them

When I split mine up I separate them slowly. e.g separate for a few hours then put them back together for a bit, then separate them for a bit longer and put them back together etc etc. Keep lengthening the time until they're completely separated. It'll be worth it when you've got 2 full litters of kits that haven't been eaten.

If you loose a kit or two is it a heartbreak unless your on £20 each ?. most sensible guys breed a odd litter for replacement ferrets and a young jill can and does give birth to double figure litters so unless there counted on day one and you know exactly whats there does it matter ?, two years ago my jill had three and that was plenty i got my replacement jill and a mate got the two hobs job done .