Anyone know a good way to get new land?

Drive up with any paperwork (insurance, certificates etc), and knock on the door ask to speak to the landowner :yes:

Remember: problem, reaction, solution.

Give them a problem (ie pests/vermin), wait for a reaction then give them a solution.

Once you have one place, do a good job be respectful then ask them if the know anyone who could use a hand controlling pests.

Good luck, it seems hard but we all have to start somewhere :thumbs:

ok thanks for that. see what you are saying. say you were passing by and notice alot of rabbit/crows etc then though it would be worth asking if the land owner is interested in controlling them and the benefit to them I.e. more grass for his sheep etc.

what times are best to ask? during a working day, evening, weekend?

Seeker and Pj are totally on the right wave length, all good sound advice. Never be to pushy and always show respect. Never turn up at their door in all your hunting gear also, smart casual is always best. I was lucky enough to be able to walk around alot of the farmers land due to public footpaths and got myself noticed by the farmers/land owners in my area. Check where you can walk, as duncan stated farmers are 24/7 and your sure to see them if you put yourself in the right place at the right time. After awhile i started getting "hellos" and smiles and got myself noticed, then went on from there. It took time and not every farmer needed or wanted but a few said yes..starting with rabbits, woodpigeon and other small vermin, pop a bottle of drink in every christmas to them also, keeps the "losing permissions" to a 0. Alot of time and legwork...but worth the trouble in the end. :)

In my experience you just have to keep knocking doors and be polite, dont go i your camo gear dress casual and having a bit of land in the area helps as can use their name as well but its always been hard, the only way your going to get land permission is if the farmer wants some one in the first place its hard to convince any of them they need it unless they have experienced dammage from rabbit, rats, or worrying by fox but please dont let that put you off as im still looking for land and i have been shooting for over 30yrs i have land but you always want something different KEEP LOOKING AND GOOD LUCK

Edited by mal mason

Easiest way is to get the neighbours details off your landowner and knock on the door, introduce yourself and explain you shoot next door and ask if you can cross the boundaries because you've seen a lot of rabbits/foxes/whatever. If your landowner will give you a reference all the better...

In my experience you just have to keep knocking doors and be polite, dont go i your camo gear dress casual and having a bit of land in the area helps as can use their name as well but its always been hard, the only way your going to get land permission is if the farmer wants some one in the first place its hard to convince any of them they need it unless they have experienced dammage from rabbit, rats, or worrying by fox but please dont let that put you off as im still looking for land and i have been shooting for over 30yrs i have land but you always want something different KEEP LOOKING AND GOOD LUCK

cheers bud.

Easiest way is to get the neighbours details off your landowner and knock on the door, introduce yourself and explain you shoot next door and ask if you can cross the boundaries because you've seen a lot of rabbits/foxes/whatever. If your landowner will give you a reference all the better...

good advice and it certainly worked for me recently - I phoned the prospect and said "Hi ..... I 've been shooting for X,Y and Z along your borders, and it seemed to make sense to me to see if I can control pests on your land too. Joined up thinking. Would you have any objection to me controlling pests on your land too?" or words to that effect.

Landed me 650 acres of mixed land, the best I have to date.

I'm working on a pub at the moment just outside Honiton. Went to pick up some stone off a farm for a wall that we're building. Asked them if they had a problem with pests. To cut a long story short, just got the permission for 300 acres of farm land and the farmer's going to see the owners of the land next to his fields as there are shit loads of rabbits coming from there onto his property. He said he lost 40 acres of wheat last year. Farmer was saying how hard it is to find someone to shoot the rabbits, i said that there are loads of people out there who would give there right arm for his land. He went on to say that most people he has dealt with in the past seem like amateurs and he didn't feel he would like them on his land with guns. Before i asked him if he wanted me to shoot them for him, i told him i had a certificate from Deer Management Services for competence and safety with rimfire and Centerfire rifles, full member of BASC with £10million of public and product liability insurance and i have a BPCA pest controller certificate. I also asked him if the land had already been passed to shoot on. Once he said he would like me to shoot his land i said i would need him to fill out a permission form, we keep one each.This is the 3rd place this year i have got permission by just asking if they/or they know of anyone that has a pest problem. Then impress them with all the paper work and finally ask them if they would like me to sort it out for them. Not everyone is going to go and get the full BPCA, but i think the minimum anyone should have is full BASC membership that automatically gives you the insurance. The rimfire/centerfire certificate took a day and cost £140, it was a good day out and it has helped me get land, the FAO likes it as well. If you are professional about things ,once people know about you, they will trust you and want you. He's even signing permission slips for the brotherinlaw so we can both go. It's an hours drive away but we are going to make a day, and night, off it on Saturdays as long as the Wife don't mind :). Don't forget to ask every one. I asked a bloke in charge of a tarmac gang if he knew any one who had a pest problem. From him i got a rugby club and 75 acres of neighbouring farm land to shoot. Like my Nan used to say 'Squeeky wheel gets the oil!'.

I only started looking for permission about 3 moths ago and now have 4 which includes 1200 acres and a couple which are entirely paddock. The paddock I got by driving slowly past the land a few times and noticing the amount of bunnies on the grass, I knocked and told them what I had seen and the owner asked me if I would help shoot a few! The 1200 came about by going to the local farmers auctions and asking around. I am ok for now as the paddocks are keeping me busy with bunnies and the farm land is a slow burner, I think this will come into it's own after the autum harvest, I still put in an appearance tho so the farmer knows I go even though I don't get much. Ask everywhere, ask anyone that looks as though they have land, go to the farmers auctions, live stock auctions etc etc!

I'm working on a pub at the moment just outside Honiton. Went to pick up some stone off a farm for a wall that we're building. Asked them if they had a problem with pests. To cut a long story short, just got the permission for 300 acres of farm land and the farmer's going to see the owners of the land next to his fields as there are shit loads of rabbits coming from there onto his property. He said he lost 40 acres of wheat last year. Farmer was saying how hard it is to find someone to shoot the rabbits, i said that there are loads of people out there who would give there right arm for his land. He went on to say that most people he has dealt with in the past seem like amateurs and he didn't feel he would like them on his land with guns. Before i asked him if he wanted me to shoot them for him, i told him i had a certificate from Deer Management Services for competence and safety with rimfire and Centerfire rifles, full member of BASC with £10million of public and product liability insurance and i have a BPCA pest controller certificate. I also asked him if the land had already been passed to shoot on. Once he said he would like me to shoot his land i said i would need him to fill out a permission form, we keep one each.This is the 3rd place this year i have got permission by just asking if they/or they know of anyone that has a pest problem. Then impress them with all the paper work and finally ask them if they would like me to sort it out for them. Not everyone is going to go and get the full BPCA, but i think the minimum anyone should have is full BASC membership that automatically gives you the insurance. The rimfire/centerfire certificate took a day and cost £140, it was a good day out and it has helped me get land, the FAO likes it as well. If you are professional about things ,once people know about you, they will trust you and want you. He's even signing permission slips for the brotherinlaw so we can both go. It's an hours drive away but we are going to make a day, and night, off it on Saturdays as long as the Wife don't mind :). Don't forget to ask every one. I asked a bloke in charge of a tarmac gang if he knew any one who had a pest problem. From him i got a rugby club and 75 acres of neighbouring farm land to shoot. Like my Nan used to say 'Squeeky wheel gets the oil!'.

Deer Management Services for competence and safety with rimfire and Centerfire rifles

is that not covered in the deer stalker 1 cert?

Deer Management Services for competence and safety with rimfire and Centerfire rifles

is that not covered in the deer stalker 1 cert?

I wanted to get some kind of certification of competence to help me obtain my FAC. I rang up Deer Management Services and asked them if they did any thing like that. I didn't do a full on deer course , just a day with them covering all aspects of rim and center fire. It was well interesting, considering all i had got my hands on up till then was an air rifle, and the FAO liked it. Did it in Somerset just outside Glastonbury near Meare.