Deranged Pooch

Hi guys,

I have a 16 month old Lurcher who I race around a Greyhound track once a month and at shows.

He's started to chase and attack the other dogs rather than actually giving a f**k about the lure. It's proper f**king me off, embarrassing is an understatement!

Yesterday we attended a show and we entered both my Lurchers in a straight lure race, I slipped him and mate slipped my other dog....there were 5 dogs in total and they all took off at the same time. My deranged dog made a B line staight for my other pooch and wiped her out! WTF!

He's still got the nuts attached, how much of a difference does removing them make like?

Cheers in advance for all the sensible answers :)

Muzzle him it might help when chasing the lure. He might only be intrested in chasing real quarry and thats not a bad complaint :thumbs:

He's always muzzled when racing....might just have to leave this guy at home, shame coz I love doing this sort of stuff with the dogs :)

He's the sort of dog that wouldn't think twice about taking a fox down given the chance....he'll jump gates and streams without a care in the world. Can't have it all I suppose....

• Like 1

Muzzle him it might help when chasing the lure. He might only be intrested in chasing real quarry and thats not a bad complaint :thumbs:

He's always muzzled when racing....might just have to leave this guy at home, shame coz I love doing this sort of stuff with the dogs :)

He's the sort of dog that wouldn't think twice about taking a fox down given the chance....he'll jump gates and streams without a care in the world. Can't have it all I suppose....

give him the chance he's coming to the right age and probally take to fox work well :thumbs: dont really know what else to say on the racing side of things since i dont race mine atb with him and hope he settles down for you :thumbs:
  • Like 1

Have you had him free running with strange dogs if he is ok with them free running maybe he's being like that on the lure cos he is competing against them for something he wants which may spark the charging of other dogs.

Who knows ,just a thought

Atb Mate

JD :thumbs:

Yes and muzzled just in case, he wants to course em and chomp em, he even did the same thing to his 5 month old pup :(

How about chopping his crown jewels off....anyone know if this actually calms them down?

hes 16 month old and he has a 5 month old pup :icon_eek: are you for real

Yes and muzzled just in case, he wants to course em and chomp em, he even did the same thing to his 5 month old pup :(

How about chopping his crown jewels off....anyone know if this actually calms them down?

hes 16 month old and he has a 5 month old pup :icon_eek: are you for real

Here we go with the stupid comments, accidents happen... ask your Mum and Dad! Dick.. better than a 16 month old bitch eh?

Having already sired a litter at a young age has raised the dog's status in his own mind. He now has a bitch at home (and leave out the funny comments guys! :tongue2::laugh: ), when he's no more than a teenager himself. In his mind he's the MAN! PLUS he's still maturing both physically and mentally, so with all these grand ideas in his head............well, you're seeing the result.

PLUS his prey drive is increasing with age, and from what you say he seems to be a 'forward going' dog, not a shrinking violet. I'd stop racing him straight away: in my humble opinion lure coursing, racing or whatever, is not a good thing for certain dogs. It taps into their drive when there's nothing to kill at the end of a race: the lure disappears and the dog is left frustrated. If you continue to race him he's only going to get worse.

Also, it sounds as though he could do with some serious training, the sort of training which will help him to focus more on you, the owner, and learn to do as you say at all times. I've got a young dog of similar age, and his favourite game is to try and take out my other dogs when there's nothing more exciting to chase. He has a mega high drive, and will hopefully be very good at his job when he's old enough, next season, but for the moment, I never let him loose with subordinate dogs, only with the older bitches who put him in his place. Dogs get into 'bad' habits very quickly, and once they are doing what you don't want them to do, they are far harder to get back on to the straight and narrow.

Don't let him run with the pup at all: he may injure it, and at the very least, affect it mentally. Take them out separately and train, play and have fun with both individually. You're beginning to find out why most people don't breed from immature dogs: but its not too late to alter his behaviour with strict and sensible one to one training.

As for getting him castrated: go ahead by all means, and it will calm down certain aspects of his behaviour, but it is unlikely to stop him piling into other dogs if his prey drive is causing that problem. We breed certain types of lurcher to have very high prey drives, which is great in the field, but can cause problems with other dogs, and especially when doing stuff like racing.

• Like 4