Does anyone know someone who's used a mongoose as a ratter/rabbit catcher?

I'm curious. I've read the revelation of a rat catcher, and he said Mongoose were as good at catching rats as a well trained dog or cat, but not as good as ferrets because they didn't go down the tight spaces as well. Since they look alike, are related and all, I'm curious. Here's a mongoose:

3780709299_c0f3baa437.jpg

Yeh, I knew a young guy named Teddy who had one, named it Rikki Tikki Tavi. He used it to kill snakes ,usually ones called Karait.

You will probably find it would not kill rats, as it is friends with there cousin Chuchundra the muskrat.

You could give it a go though,, let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

Yeh, I knew a young guy named Teddy who had one, named it Rikki Tikki Tavi. He used it to kill snakes ,usually ones called Karait.

You will probably find it would not kill rats, as it is friends with there cousin Chuchundra the muskrat.

Lol, taking the piss I see. Will do though.

theres a few places in the world like Hawai'i they were introduced to kill the rats and they turned out to be a bigger threat to birds and eggs they also carry leptospirosis like rats

regards Stoaty

Edited by stoaty

will if you ask stupid questions youll get stupid answers :haha:

My grandfather kept one that lived in his sock drawer when he lived in India. Killed snakes.

That wasn't an actual Mongoose, it was only given that nick-name cos it was long, slender and slid into dark holes with ease.

• Like 1

will if you ask stupid questions youll get stupid answers :haha:

I fail to see how my question was stupid. It was, admittedly a bit misinformed, but I highly doubt it comes anywhere near being stupid.

seen one or two working but as rake said not much good on the rabbits but " shit hot on the cobras " :yes:

perhaps x,d with an EU polecat they might be useful :D

Who owned them? What quarry was the person after? Rats?

An auld boy from our village used to have one or two, he used to be in the merchant navy so I think he brought them back from India.

Once they were tamed they made great pets and he kept them in the hoose, I can remember one greeting at the back door to get oot so very bright animals.

I never seen them work on the rats but I think they would,ve been useful under sheds etc but maybe to big for small tight holes.

The auld boy used to catch the odd adder up the hills and match them against the mongoose, that was a great laugh,

as for trying to get a hold of one I think you may be struggling unless you can find someone with a private collection, I reckon you,d better off with a wild EU if you want something a bit different and up and at em

There,s a few colonys around Britain where you could maybe trap them, aicwistatinfin in North Wales holds a few, atb with your quest :D

Edited by KittleRox