making up some crayfish traps any tips ?

oh yeah that brings back momories!!!

we used to do this all the time as kids and teen agers . my brother actualy had some in a fish tank for years that i had trapped .

we even used to make small harpoons and get them like that to .

the mesh wants to be strong you will be amased how good they are at break outs!!!!

if your carful you can catch them on crab lines like you would at the coast !!

we used to go off a pontoon at a trout fishery near us . we had a barbique grill attached to a rope at each corner and cable tie meat in the centre , because we where directly above the "trap" we could see when it was worth pulling it up like a lift !!

my mate actualy had a big one clamp on to his thumb and when he shook his thumb nail came off !!

there nice to eat but seemed hard to cook i remember some where snotty once cooked and other tough as old turds . i think people purge them in clean rain water for 24hours before cooking to take the muddy taste away ? i could be wrong about that .

is it signal creyfish ?

yea signal im after i had a few earlyer in a trap i made ages ago ill put a photo up when the missis gets in but the traps not the best ,thats the reason im making some more

I have used plastic mesh sheets which i roll up into a cylinder, fasten a flat piece of lead to the bottom and a funnel end piece and away you go. If you reserch it the yanks have got it down to a fine art. Plastic will outfish metal everytime.

ha ha thats great kev they look really good . the kids will allways remember that !!!!!!

and by the look of it they work a treat !!!

keep posting on this topic im enjoying it , its made me want to make a trap or two and get some again .

will you eat them ?

good post !!

yea were gonna eat them after a few days in fresh water ,we made these traps out of rubbish we found the crates and got the netting off old trampoline so far they only cost us £1,50 for the wire to fix um together were off out again today to pick up yesterdays traps and put some more down ,ill take some pics along the way for you

yea signal im after i had a few earlyer in a trap i made ages ago ill put a photo up when the missis gets in but the traps not the best ,thats the reason im making some more

I have used plastic mesh sheets which i roll up into a cylinder, fasten a flat piece of lead to the bottom and a funnel end piece and away you go. If you reserch it the yanks have got it down to a fine art. Plastic will outfish metal everytime.

can you stick some pics up im interested. thanks sp