rescue dogs

a mate of mine has just got a rescue dog its 6 month old and looks to me like a collie whippet, we let it off the lead for the first time today it didnt no any comands and didnt realy listen :no: if whe keeps getting it out hunting with mine will it start taking intrest in game

cheers allrounder :victory:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ceredigion bull cross
a mate of mine has just got a rescue dog its 6 month old and looks to me like a collie whippet, we let it off the lead for the first time today it didnt no any comands and didnt realy listen :no: if whe keeps getting it out hunting with mine will it start taking intrest in game

cheers allrounder :victory:

how long has he had the dog ?

hes had the dog too days now probebly never had working parents either :hmm:

You never know.... If its definatley got whippet in its blood then its probably going to work in some sort of fashon, as kids (30 years ago!) we used to nick lurchers from the local dogs home an give them a run on some very good an famous coursing grounds near by, most gave a good account of themselves an were given good peminant homes, one was exceptional, killing the first four that we put her on, lived to a ripe old age too, seein plenty of work an bred some good pups.

Works sometimes with terriers too, a good mate has a excellent worker (above an below) from the local dogs home.

Defo not an exact science....but you never know!!!

Guest WILF

:blink: FFS........are you being serious?..........2 DAYS you have had it..............what does your mate want it to do?..........jump through fecking hoops and bring single handed roe back to hand.

Why dont you and your mate have a think on before posting such fecking rediculous questions.

Of course the fecking thing will hunt........WITH TIME AND PATIENCE :no::no:

Before you do anything else you need to TRAIN the dog! Almost any dog will learn to hunt/work given the right training, exposure to game: but teach it some basics first or you'll end up with a dog that does its own thing when it wants, not when YOU want.

If your mate hasn't had a dog before he'd do well to take it to training classes: that way he'll learn how to train the dog: and it'll be a better worker for it.

Guest Ditch_Shitter
If you stay with a dog and give it experience, in the end it will probably do the same for you. Nothing fails a dog more than a human that will quit on it.
Guest WILF

If you stay with a dog and give it experience, in the end it will probably do the same for you. Nothing fails a dog more than a human that will quit on it.

Thank you DS........I dont normally get out my pram, but I think you and I can see where this one ends ;) .....for the dog at least ;)

:blink: FFS........are you being serious?..........2 DAYS you have had it..............what does your mate want it to do?..........jump through fecking hoops and bring single handed roe back to hand.

Why dont you and your mate have a think on before posting such fecking rediculous questions.

Never a truer word :victory: Well said Wilf!

Time,patience,love and understanding and it will come right in the right hands - plain common sense is all that is needed :icon_eek:

And again :victory:

wilf i was just asking out of intrest if young less exsperienced hunters cant learn and ask the obvious on here were the fu*k else am i suppose to go ive had no exsperience with them so i thort i would this would be the best place to ask next time ill keep my mouth shut :no:

Edited by allrounder
Guest SJM

My first 2 lurchers were young adult rescues. I spent ages with them training them to fetch (to a fashion, neither were brilliant retreivers as I didnt get them young enough) breaking them to sheep, jumping, recall etc but neither of them were ever particularly obedient dogs, they both had their faults, the bitch used to turn a deafy sometimes when she was hunting, she would just keep raking on and on and she would vanish out of sight for ages, the dog was always a bit fond of eyeing up the sheep and his retreiving was piss poor, I went on to training pups from scratch after that and I wouldnt have another adult or rescue dog again, but thats just me, I like to bond with my pups from day one and train them to a high standard, but not everyone wants the same things out of a lurcher. If you just want a point and slip dog, then a rescue will often do the job, and if you put the hours in with an unspoilt dog you might just get something useful out of it, but its not my cup of tea, pup every time for me :yes:

Guest SJM

Well its only 6 months old so he has a chance with it. My advice to him would be to spend the summer concerntrating purely on bonding with the wee dog and training it some basic commands. A good recall, break it to livestock, train it to carry if it shows the slightest interest in fetching things back to you, and get it jumping. Then once hes built up trust with the dog and knows it will listen to him and come back when called etc start working it and see how he gets on :victory: