A few shots of the dogs

nice looking dogs, I fancy the one on the left; are they pure or mixes? Not that being pure means squat in the working field, i'm just curious.

What do you work them on?

Most of my quarry is Coon , the odd Possum and odd fox but 95% is Coons , theres lots of lads bother with the Groundhogs over here ( USA, Canada ) but to be honest i cant be arsed with them ! dont get me wrong there perhaps good for getting a young dog started but there just not for me ;)

"perhaps good for getting a young dog started" how do you mean? Surely a coon in the earth is an easier victory for a terrier than a hog is.

nice looking dogs, I fancy the one on the left; are they pure or mixes? Not that being pure means squat in the working field, i'm just curious.

What do you work them on?

Most of my quarry is Coon , the odd Possum and odd fox but 95% is Coons , theres lots of lads bother with the Groundhogs over here ( USA, Canada ) but to be honest i cant be arsed with them ! dont get me wrong there perhaps good for getting a young dog started but there just not for me ;)

"perhaps good for getting a young dog started" how do you mean? Surely a coon in the earth is an easier victory for a terrier than a hog is.

Are you saying a ground hog is more formidable than a coon in the ground ?

I'm saying that a young dog following a scent into the earth has a higher probability of success at finding and keeping its quarry in one place if it has tracked a coon into the earth and not a groundhog. A hog will wall itself away from danger , most coons will not. Groundhogs will dig away from pressure, raccoons will not. A terrier that is a bayer can keep a coon in a stop end a terrier that bays will lose that groundhog. If you are asking who can put the fight to the terrier better in the earth, a ten pound ground hog or a ten pound coon, I would say for sure a ten pound groundhog. But then again it's not my terriers job to fight the quarry in the ground, it's to keep em in one place so that I can get there and dispatch the quarry. And if you aren't a quick digger or that strong with the shovel than I can see digging to ground hogs wouldn't be so much fun having to dig and then dig again and then maybe dig another third time to get to the groundhog.

• Like 1

I wish we had more groundhogs here...Ive dug to a few and some are pretty nasty critters...Id love to be out digging them in my off season...

I hunt them a few times a year in my off season in Mo.

Hastings I have never been on a 15lb coon to realy know what is rougher in the ground but the coon I have got in the ground have been alot harder then any Groundhog I have got in the ground but the biggest chuck I have found in the ground was about 17-18 lbs .

" I hunt them a few times a year in my off season" , ok well beef up your amount of time researching and see how your results play out. lb for lb a hog can be just as rough and most times rougher than a coon. I'm going to stop now cause arguing about opinions gets nowhere real fast , best of luck with whatever you are digging to.

" I hunt them a few times a year in my off season" , ok well beef up your amount of time researching and see how your results play out. lb for lb a hog can be just as rough and most times rougher than a coon. I'm going to stop now cause arguing about opinions gets nowhere real fast , best of luck with whatever you are digging to.

Good Idea since I was agreeing with you ...In the fact that I would not know cause I have never got a coon small enough to know.

Edited by Yankee