bit of advice wanted,goldfinch mules

hello lads just after abit of advice please got a goldfinch in with a white fife canary been in about 2 weeks still havent done out,does the colour of the canary matter with it being all white will that put the gold finch off or does the colour not matter, iv also got a siskin in with a canary and she is already sitting on eggs, sorry if these questions sound daft to the experts but this is my first time lads just learning like, thanks in advance HR

There just not ready yet,my canary hen in with my goldie cock built a nest and thats it nothing more,my other hen in with a greenie is sat on 4 eggs and last year it was the other way round the goldie mules came first.I'd say colour shouldn't come into it if you were caged up and busting for it would it matter to you when laid on a plate? :laugh:

dont think colour is a problem,as said just not ready,only problem i had colour wise is hen canarys not feeding british young,think it was the colour of there gape,seemed to put the hen off,any more experienced folk noticed this prob,i had bullfinch chicks,hatched under canary few year back and hen seemed reluctant to feed.not tried since so could have been just that hen at fault.

• 2 weeks later...

As has been said above natives dont come into breeding condition until at least late April if they are being kept without artificial light & temperature.

I agree goldfinches are usually later than other natives coming into breeding condition, lots of people take a round of canaries off a hen before they try for mules.

The colour of the hen canary makes no difference, the native will thread her either way if he is in breeding condition.

In reply to Francolin, bullie chicks have a big wide gape which is bright red and puts off canary hens that have reared canary chicks previously so if you intend to use feeder canaries for bullies use a current year maiden hen who knows no different.

chafinches come in first followed by the greenies linnets goldies bullie s , for those going early it his not allways the early bird that gets the worm .in other words hold em back , over time by taking second nest yoiungsters or third from canaries these will automatically come in later to coincide with the finch cock . these are the hens to keep for your muling . a good mule breeder with decades of experience dont need to take canaries every season only when needed to replace muling hens . colours dont matter gouldinians and the foreign types will rear ought .bullies gapes are a dark crimson colour colour son use a mule hen . plenty mini meal worms hard boiled eggs etc ,or hand rear em .atb bunnys.