Damaged leg.

Just been to check the canaries and my favourite hen is not using one of her legs. I had someone here and we were catching some and i wonder if she has knocked it then.

What are the chances of it healing itself or am i able to do anything for her?

She is still flying about and managing to land on perches with her good leg, there is no visible damage?

She is such a sweetheart i will be gutted if i have to cull her.

Just been to check the canaries and my favourite hen is not using one of her legs. I had someone here and we were catching some and i wonder if she has knocked it then.

What are the chances of it healing itself or am i able to do anything for her?

She is still flying about and managing to land on perches with her good leg, there is no visible damage?

She is such a sweetheart i will be gutted if i have to cull her.

a hen :icon_eek: best thing for her is to send her to someone wanting one :whistling:

I had a one legged hen for years. She had it bitten off by a mouse as a chick in the nest :censored: She reared several clutches just fine and managed aviary life no problem at all, though she didn't perch at night, slept in a nest pan instead.

I had a one legged hen for years. She had it bitten off by a mouse as a chick in the nest :censored: She reared several clutches just fine and managed aviary life no problem at all, though she didn't perch at night, slept in a nest pan instead.

When i went in the aviary she was sitting in one of the large D cup feeders, so hopefully she will be the same...phew.

if either the tibia or fimur are broken they cannot be set due to the upper two devisions of the leg being enclosed by the skin of the sides. if the metatarsus is fractured it can be set and held in place by placing the shank in a tube made from bacofoil or stiff paper. it must be loose enough so that any swelling does not restrict circulation to the foot. a foot sling can help any break and is a good way of stopping the bird from being crippled.

I cannot tell what is wrong Paul, i have since noticed her longer middle toe does have a cut/sore bit to it though?

clean and disinfect and see how it goes :thumbs:if it had been her back toe her breeding days would have been over as all her eggs would be infertile as her foot would slop at the critical moment
  • 3 weeks later...