training beddy whippet

just starting to train my first beddy whippet i itend to use her for ferreting and running rabbits. shes six months old at present and when out and about has no itention of coming back to me. been using a few treats in me pocket to try and get her back but not happening at the minute.

when she does return she will run circles around me then belt off in what ever way she fancies. been out tonight and she ran off luckily she ran straight home from the field but it is across a main road so bitconcerned really any advice please.

when shes in the house or the garden shes usually under me feet or if im sat down she will be within touching distance all ways.

ive got 3 beddy whippets and 3 other running dogs but never had this problem youve got , you said youve just started training your dog i know its still a pup at 6 months old .but i would have started recall . heel . stay . at alot younger age . its not good if she's running home ... try a long lead and be abit sharp with her but not to much you can ruin her... , keep on with training you'll get there ..........

• Like 1

just starting to train my first beddy whippet i itend to use her for ferreting and running rabbits. shes six months old at present and when out and about has no itention of coming back to me. been using a few treats in me pocket to try and get her back but not happening at the minute.

when she does return she will run circles around me then belt off in what ever way she fancies. been out tonight and she ran off luckily she ran straight home from the field but it is across a main road so bitconcerned really any advice please.

when shes in the house or the garden shes usually under me feet or if im sat down she will be within touching distance all ways.

I'd be very concerned ,running across a main road.

What Plant said was good advice, I hope you get her sorted, and don't let her off near any main roads until you do. :thumbs:

Just go back to basics.....use a long length of washing line and dont let her off for a while. I tend to run away from my puppies to encourage them to come to me......using a puffy high pitch voice and going down to my knees as they approach. I know not all puppies are the same and some really know how to push you to your limits, but be patient and never lose your temper. You could try training to the whistle as this can hide the frustration in your voice which they can pick up on. I would maybe start at home again and gradually try in a place where there isnt too many distractions. Ive had a few dogs around that age turn deaf and especially when they knew i was heading back to the car or on my way home. Sometimes i found it was a good idea to break the pattern of where you put the dog on the lead...not always in the same spot and when you do give the dog a fuss while holding onto its collar then put the lead on. You'll get there, just be one step ahead.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Got your work cut out iv got a beddiexgrey and mine did exactly the same very head strong and hunting mad,i tried everything and nothing worked,with mine it was just time she is now just over 2yrs old the pups just about dropped out of her and shes started behaving herself...Good luck..All i would say dont start em to young...

cheers for the advice guys when i say just started training her she was doing the basic stuff in the garden and on the lead while out she will sit and stay and up till this weekend would come when called so i thought that i would have her out a bit with a bit of free running space got a large field opposite me thats ideal just letting her have her run about seemes the extra freedom has bollxed up all the previous work. will try the long lead method and see what happens. shes laid across me knee as i type this when im in the gaff shes like me shadow.

cheers muddy

Do what Wuyang said. In the garden, in the house, on a tennis court or other enclosed space. Don't ever call her while she's running around like a loony, she will just learn to ignore you. dont deny her her freedom, she needs to learn about the world, but take her to safe places (no roads etc) and let her start coming back by herself, then crouch down and call her and make a right fuss and give her a treat. the most important thing is to then let her go and do it all over again, several times on each walk. if you put her straight on a lead and take her home as soon as she comes, that ain't no good reason for her to come back is it? BE PATIENT!! and good luck

• Like 1