firearms officer

well applied for my sgc on 31/01/12 and i had a phone call earlier off the FAO, he whats to come out and have a chat with me tomorrow at 3pm. all looks good however i have concerns as to where i keep the keys to the safe, i am obviously the only one that has knowledge/contact with the keys but where do i keep the spare set, in the house,shed,kennel???? any suggestions and is there anything else i should be considering.

regards

Nick

Doesn't really matter as long as you don't tell anyone. Just say you have two separate places for them and that they would be hard to find and that no one else will know where they are. Technically you shouldn't even tell the FAO where they will be kept.

ATB

Yeah if he asks where the keys will be kept, just say "in a safe place" (then say no more)

Mine said "if I call round one day and want to check your guns, but your at work, would your mum be able to let me take a look?"

Again just reply "No one would be able to let you look but me, you'd have to contact me at work" to which he replied "good answer"

He's not out to get you, he's just there to educate on the safe keeping of guns.

• Like 1

Mine did. I told him I couldn't tell him but they would be safe and far away from the gun safe out of reach of anyone. If they ask it is likely a test so don't tell them the actual location. They aren't the enemy but I felt mine was definately asking probing questions about safety and security.

What happens if you drop dead or had a car accident etc? I recently asked my FAO when he visited me and he said leave the spare keys with a friend who also has a SGC.

Must happen when people die suddenly leaving partner with no access to gun cabinet.

Only concerned because i had a heart attack a few years ago aged 39 [ no i am not a fat git, just unlucky ] and wondered if it happens again what would my wife do, who is completely against me owning guns any way?

Would police just jemmy gun cabinet of the wall?

What happens if you drop dead or had a car accident etc? I recently asked my FAO when he visited me and he said leave the spare keys with a friend who also has a SGC.

Must happen when people die suddenly leaving partner with no access to gun cabinet.

Only concerned because i had a heart attack a few years ago aged 39 [ no i am not a fat git, just unlucky ] and wondered if it happens again what would my wife do, who is completely against me owning guns any way?

Would police just jemmy gun cabinet of the wall?

i suppose the police would get a locksmith in or have a duplicate key made off the cabinet makers??

i'm completely relaxed about it but my wife is dead against firearms etc so its a good job she isnt here tomorrow :D my mate said that his missus had to be present and that the FAO asked her if she was ok with him owning a shotgun and would he ever harm her in anyway if they had an argument?? i dont know whether to believe that or not but stranger things have happened

The advice that i've read a few times with regards spare keys which seems to make sense is to write instructions as to where they are, put that letter in an envelope and give it either to your solicitor or keep it with say original deeds to a house in the bank.

My spare keys are just hidden, no need for anyone to know where they are. I struggle to remember myself sometimes!