The importance of a ferreting dog

Before I got my lurcher I used to think it would be just an added bonus, but I can't imagine going without her now. It's not the catching bolters that slip the net, it's the marking.....when rabbits aren't in abundance how much time would you waste without a dog with you!! If I didn't have my dog with me this season I'd probably have spent 80% of the time netting up unoccupied warrens.

If there's any newbies reading this who haven't managed to get themselves a hunting dog yet, or someone who goes without a dog, if you have a pet dog, or friends/relatives that have a pet dog, try taking it with you to see if it's proves to be any use. Forget about worrying if it won't go into cover, or wouldn't be able to catch a bolter. All you need it to do is show from its body language that there's something of interest down the hole. And then just tie it to your spade or a tree or something while your ferreting, so it doesn't disturb the nets or kill the ferrets. They save so much time and frustration!!

• Like 5

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before I got my lurcher I used to think it would be just an added bonus, but I can't imagine going without her now. It's not the catching bolters that slip the net, it's the marking.....when rabbits

All dogs have a use in ferretting it amazing how a pet dog who is shown the ropes can pick it up marking I always like to have two dogs one for coursing the high speed runners and one purley for holdi

Few of the dogs my mates EBT and Pat my Beddy x and Jrt and my brother Beddy x as a pup ( right hand side of middle pic) Cookie: All our permission ok with dogs, really wouldn't fancy it without the

best get that hutch built, I took my bullx out lamping other day with terrier-man-mark and she caught a rabbit smashed it to f**k so dare say she wont be a ferreting dog mate lol.

mine crunches them but she only usually crunches the neck and shoulders so most of the meat is still OK. Just use nets for most of them bud.....main thing is to make sure it doesn't crunch the ferrets!!!

best get that hutch built, I took my bullx out lamping other day with terrier-man-mark and she caught a rabbit smashed it to f**k so dare say she wont be a ferreting dog mate lol.

mine crunches them but she only usually crunches the neck and shoulders so most of the meat is still OK. Just use nets for most of them bud.....main thing is to make sure it doesn't crunch the ferrets!!!

yeah defo going to get a pair of young jills this year, just use my mates whip\grey\collie dog for ferreting. :thumbs:

yeah defo going to get a pair of young jills this year, just use my mates whip\grey\collie dog for ferreting. :thumbs:

Don't rule out hobs bud, they get them flying out. When mine snuff it I'm going to stick to the hob and jill combo, I think it works quite well if you've only got two ferrets.

Don't rule out hobs bud, they get them flying out. When mine snuff it I'm going to stick to the hob and jill combo, I think it works quite well if you've only got two ferrets.

from what i've read on here mate, people always reccomend jills. my sister had two jills years ago (non workers) handled everyday but would still bite sometimes.

from what i've read on here mate, people always reccomend jills. my sister had two jills years ago (non workers) handled everyday but would still bite sometimes.

some people reckon that hobs kill underground more often than jills but I've never found that to be honest, my jill kills just as often as my hob. Jills can pass through the nets as long as the collar doesn't get caught, and they're lighter to carry.....I do find that the rabbits bolt quicker for a hob though so as the old saying goes, it's swings and roundabouts. All I'm saying is don't completely discount hobs as being useful workers as some people seem to do :thumbs:

• Like 1

Before I got my lurcher I used to think it would be just an added bonus, but I can't imagine going without her now. It's not the catching bolters that slip the net, it's the marking.....when rabbits aren't in abundance how much time would you waste without a dog with you!! If I didn't have my dog with me this season I'd probably have spent 80% of the time netting up unoccupied warrens.

If there's any newbies reading this who haven't managed to get themselves a hunting dog yet, or someone who goes without a dog, if you have a pet dog, or friends/relatives that have a pet dog, try taking it with you to see if it's proves to be any use. Forget about worrying if it won't go into cover, or wouldn't be able to catch a bolter. All you need it to do is show from its body language that there's something of interest down the hole. And then just tie it to your spade or a tree or something while your ferreting, so it doesn't disturb the nets or kill the ferrets. They save so much time and frustration!!

Glad too read this I am trying too ease my 5 year old pet cocker into things. Taking it easy though and all ready he has put up woodcock. The stock training side of things is a worry so I am a bit limited where I can take him which is why he hasnt come across a rabbit yet but its only a matter of time

if a dog hasnt had nothing to do with ferrets it doesnt come simple as, thats in my eyes. i like my ferrets to be able to come out the warren and run a couple yards and drop in another hole. my dogs just sit at the side [bANNED TEXT] ferreting and wont move unless theres a bolt to catch

if a dog hasnt had nothing to do with ferrets it doesnt come simple as, thats in my eyes. i like my ferrets to be able to come out the warren and run a couple yards and drop in another hole. my dogs just sit at the side [bANNED TEXT] ferreting and wont move unless theres a bolt to catch

yes, you're on about a true ferreting dog though...i.e. one that will catch bolters aswell as mark. My point was, if a true ferreting dog isn't available it'd be better to have just a bog standard mongrel or something to show you whether or not the hole is occupied, and then tie it up while you ferret it, than not have a dog at all and waste hour after hour looking for rabbits that just aren't there :thumbs: