Native Breeds dissapearing?

We have one original British breed (bleeding turbo charged rocket fox Corgi), one American breed (Labrador) and a German breed (halfwit GSD).

Ha !

so its Your fault then!?!

rgds

swampy

Someone must have some spare nings?!

A breed like the otterhound, which doesn't have a proper job anymore, is large, smelly and can't be carried about in a Prada handbag, so is unlikely to even be recognised by the sector of the dog-buying public that wants a chihuahua; nor are you likely to get very far using it to try and rob an off-licence, so that's another sector gone.

If there is a core of the breed remaining, it can be brought back, but what, realistically, for?

The KC is only concerned with pedigrees and showing dogs and the income from registration which in the public's eyes is a guarantee of quality and thus helps breeders sell their puppies. They're only grudgingly concerned with "welfare" and that only recently. Popular dog breeds earn them money from registration and such, so it's not in the KC's interest to discourage breeding of any breed, rare or otherwise.

Personally I'd be more concerned with over-breeding, regardless of the origin of the dogs concerned. 43% of ALL registered Afghans ended up in breed rescue? That's an appalling statistic! Add in the ones that went to "general" rescue and the ones that were sold privately so probably slip through the net and you'd have to ask yourself why almost half the dogs bred ended up discarded. Is there an issue in the breed that's resulting in this? Poor temperament or health? Were as many bred and sold the next year? There will be the usual reasons for parting with a dog, relationship breakdown, loss of job, etc... but not 43% of them. That's frightening.

The article also specifically mentions huskies, a breed quite often in rescue (at least in my neck of the woods). They're appealing pups and stunning adults. But they're hard work, for Joe Average Dog-Buyer and his family. It's all very well saying such-and-such a breed should be more popular instead, but often they're breeds which don't have a logical purpose left or which are too much work for what is by some margin a "pet dog" market. People want these "designer" dogs now, the crossbreeds. It's just fashion, and will change again soon enough.

When half the non-dog owning public is crying out for the restriction or banning of bull terriers of one sort or another, and the current anti-dog climate, I think the KC will be hard put to find anyone outside the breeds themselves who cares about rare breeds.

Love the photo of that Setter...if I wasn't the crappest trainer in the world I'd love one.

Horrible photo of that little rat thing.....

With the Chihuahua :laugh:

I wonder how many folk still work their setters. English Irish or Red?

I've only known one person who used to take his out rough shooting with a flat coat retriever.

Both dogs were steady enough but he got laughed at on one shoot, when his two lopped out of the back of his pick up.

Not what you'd call really good workers but they were great dogs as companions and for his needs. his Flatty got put down because of cancer at the age of four which is quite common for them apparently.

I think they're lovely animals and it would be ashame not to see them in the field.

As with any dog. You only get out of it what you put in.

Out of interest; Could otter hounds not be used for minking? Or is a mink hound a different breed?........I can feel a "google" moment coming up.

rgds

Swampy

spluttering nings conservatively

The Otterhound's exact origin is not known, but some believe it originated in France. This rather old breed was developed by crossing the Bloodhound with rough-haired Terriers, Harriers, and Griffons

F****** French!

And............The use of otterhounds to hunt otters by scent ceased in Britain in 1978 when it became illegal to kill otters, at this point otter hunts switched to hunting mink or coypu.

I love Google!

rgds

Swampy

my nings are few but the quality is undeniable

Otterhounds are still used in mink hunts, although because mink hunting is also banned they can only legally be used for hunting rats at the waters edge :thumbs:

post-57301-0-17615900-1327497788_thumb.jpg

Lovely looking hounds.

I'd love to see them working......if only for.........rats