This Is What We're Against.

sadly i think you will find the trapper himself is to blame for his/her own stupidity. Had the trapper followed the law and checked the trap at least once within 24hours as is requiered by law the cat owner would have been non the wiser. sadly a lot of trappers would have chose to kill the cat rather than release it as is law, as killing a cat(domestic pet) is classed as willfull destruction of property/animal cruelity.

before anyone has a go at me for my comments im not an anti, im a full time trapper of moles and other animals and i have to respect the law regarding traps, if i dont they get banned and that leaves me un-able to do my job. so regardless of if you live in a rural community or not it all comes down to doing a job properly and with respect.

Completely agree MC

I have some cage traps out at the moment for rabbits, in the grounds of a large house converted to flats.

I know there are cats about so I'm checking the twice daily - once before anyone gets up :icon_redface:

sadly i think you will find the trapper himself is to blame for his/her own stupidity. Had the trapper followed the law and checked the trap at least once within 24hours as is requiered by law the cat owner would have been non the wiser. sadly a lot of trappers would have chose to kill the cat rather than release it as is law, as killing a cat(domestic pet) is classed as willfull destruction of property/animal cruelity.

before anyone has a go at me for my comments im not an anti, im a full time trapper of moles and other animals and i have to respect the law regarding traps, if i dont they get banned and that leaves me un-able to do my job. so regardless of if you live in a rural community or not it all comes down to doing a job properly and with respect.

not having a go :D ,but, as is stated , the cat might have just gone in , the law requires you to check traps , not empty them, the trapper could have bin feeding the cat until they found out whose it was, we nor they know all the facts , we and they are just surmising, also how does one tell if a cat is domestic or feral ?why is such a loving cat owner happy to chuck out thier precious moggy for the night ? if the trap was so close to the cat owners property, why had the cat owner waited for 2 days before looking for thier cat ? they can,t have searched very far

i got blamed/accused of doing away with a cat a couple of years ago because"you shoot round here" ????, the cat turned up a few weeks later fit and healthy , im still waiting for an appology :whistle:

To be fair we are judging the trapper without knowing the full facts

How often has he checked the trap

How long really had the cat gone missing for really

The trouble with these traps and a lot of other pest control products including posions and tack glue boards is they can be purchased by someone who has no pest control training or knowledge of the countryside,bet the trap did not even come with instuctions let alone the law relating to it

MOLEY: agree with what your saying but, anyone who owns a cat (me included) will know cats will and do wonder sometimes for days. true, i dont know all the facts and im not saying that things in the real world all pan out as they do in the ideal world. accidental captures do and will happen, you know that, i know that as do all trappers. as for getting an appology, well we all know that in a lot of peoples eyes if you have anything to do with killing fluffy animals you up there on the hate list with Fred West.

HEART OF WALES, true there is a lot of products out on the market that dont requier training and are open to abuse. how do you legislate against miss use? i know a few pest controlers that have paperwork coming out their rear ends and have been doing it for years, but they are some of the worst offenders regarding the missuse of products.

After reading the original post by fletcher it just got me thinking along these lines. just because you choose to live in the countryside it doesnt meen you have to sell out your views and fall in line with the masses, do that and your nothing more than a sheep. In the ideal world all country folk would be wearing wax jackets and wellies and following the local hunt. none of them would get upset at the sight of a pheasant shoot taking place ect ect. sadly its not like that. We cant make folk follow our ideals and passions but we can and must do all me can to present ourselves, and our sports or way of life in a manner that becomes a little more easy to accept from those who dont follw it. After all, it is our way of life that will get banned not theirs.

Im not one to follow blindly, if i dissagree with something, or rather a manner in which something has been carried out i will have my say. Im a fieldsports follower but i was one of the great unwashed (as we were called in the press) who were arrested at brightlingsea in essex, campaining against the export of live calves. As i was being booked into the police station the desk clerk looked puzzled, he had seen my basc badge along side my coursing supporters club badge. he asked me this "" getting your ideals a little mixed up arnt you?""

Am I?

Edited by mole catcher
not having a go :D ,but, as is stated , the cat might have just gone in ,

You know Moley I think you might have something there. For some reason it just popped into my head that a key issue here is water.

I am quite sure that a cat could last several days in a trap without food, but water ? I'm not so sure. I know cats are descended from desert animals and so are adapted to conserve fluids but even so .......

THE WATER AINT AN ISUE , NOT AT THIS TIME OF YEAR.

THE THING WITH THIS STORY IS THE TIME. IF THE CAT OWNER LET THE CAT OUT IN THE MORNING.

AND THE TRAPPER CHECKED HIS TRAP THAT EAVNING , APROX 12 HOURS LATER AND THE CAT WASNT IN. BUT STILL WANDERING. THEN AT SOME POINT AFTER THE TRAPPER CHECKED THE TRAP THE CAT GOES IN . THEN HE GOES AWAY AND CHECKS 24 HOURS LATER.

JUST A FEW MINS EARLIER THE OWNER OF THE CAT FINDS IT AND COMES TO THE CONCLUSION ITS BEEN IN THE 48 HOURS WHEN IN FACT ITS BEEN IN 24 HOURS OR LESS .

DOES THIS MAKE SENCE.

To be honest I'm not that bothered about the cat I'm glad it was found etc, but what suprised me about the thread was the attitude some people towards pest control in general, from what I can gather is this person had placed a fox trap on his own property for whatever reason I assume to protect his chickens and people are encouraging the cat owner to go on to that property and distroy the traps.

Can you imagine if the cat had been caught in a snare.

I'd be interested to know how you figured out the cat had been in the trap for two days?

Best way to prevent the cat from getting trapped is to keep it in the house, that way all the wild birds and animals will also be safe.

The Big Man

the above is taken from the link from fletcher. seems theres more than one of us wondering how the owner knew it was trapped for two days. :hmm:

the botom line is at no point in our lifetimes will we ever see an end to this argument about hunting/pest control, the rights and wrongs of it i meen. unfortunately narrow mindedness wins the day with most people. As for adviseing people to distroy a persons trap/property, well hunters are just as likely to say such silly things arnt they? wasnt there a thread on here not that long ago advising a member to kill a niehbours cat that was causing probs with their dog?

so in my opinion both sides can and often are, as guilty as the next at offering bad or silly advise.

• 3 weeks later...

I think all good points here. Just because the cat was gone for two days does in no way mean it had been captured those full two days. That is BS and no one can prove it. Cats at times do wander , for days no less. The lady should keep her cat up if she worries over it , less it be snatched by a hungry vixen feeding her pups. House cats kill a lot of game and songbirds. In the US, they are often shot on sight. Imagine a housecat along side a few thousand game birds......Mercy! Bad as any fox. I realize in many parts of the UK, your laws are totally different than laws in the states. Finally to the person who said "I hope you destroyed the trap"....I'd give them a thousand $ to try to destroy a trap of mine and do it in front of me! Because they ain't ever had an A$$ whoppin' like they'd be gettin' had they ever tried it! :clapper: