Ruger 22/10 possible problem

I did a bit of playing around today with the Ruger and think I've found the problem. Its the CCI's!!!!

I was shooting at a large white board with a paper target taped on to it. I measured out 75yds and got down with the gun on the Bipod. I was surprised to see that I could actually see the rounds hitting the target through the scope. Anyway What I noticed was that every so often the shot just sounded "dull" and the resultant round fell a good 8 inches low. The pic is an example of what I mean. So time to switch to a better round I think. :victory:

post-30149-0-26591100-1327251726_thumb.jpg

Edited by Simonrees

From the one flyer it looks like an ammo problem, the group isn't bad for a standard Ruger 10/22..... my original standard barrelled one came in a plastic stock without a band and was good with winnies - even shot a rabbit with subs at 250m....... ok took 6 shots to get on it and it was very obliging in sitting still. Carrying the rifle on a sling, if it was upside down you could hear and feel the barrel bouncing against the fore-end.

Sold it and bought a Target barrelled version which I had cut down to 16" which didn't shoot as well as expected after I'd relieved the wood at the tip - mistake, they sometimes don't react well to being fully floated.

Came right back on song after I changed it for a Hogue overmoulded stock which applies a bit of pressure on the barrel at the fore-end tip.

The original was cut to 16" by the new owner and it's never shot as well since, so the lesson is if it ain't broke don't fix it!

If trying other brands of ammo doesn't bring an improvement, before you try and get a barrel band it might be worth trying a piece of folded card under the fore-end tip and the barrel to apply a bit of pressure to the barrel and see if that improves your groups. If it does, then a fore-end bedding job w'be the way to go....

On the ammo side of things I switched to Eley subs from Winchester when I got better and more consistent groups, also tried a couple of other brands in a back to back test... CCI, RWS(?) etc etc

I've now got a Sako Finnfire and that loves the Eleys too.

That's me,

atb

FBW

Edited by fizzbangwhallop

I did a bit of playing around today with the Ruger and think I've found the problem. Its the CCI's!!!!

I was shooting at a large white board with a paper target taped on to it. I measured out 75yds and got down with the gun on the Bipod. I was surprised to see that I could actually see the rounds hitting the target through the scope. Anyway What I noticed was that every so often the shot just sounded "dull" and the resultant round fell a good 8 inches low. The pic is an example of what I mean. So time to switch to a better round I think. :victory:

Looks like you've solved the problem. :) Edited by bob.243
  • 2 weeks later...

Same Here,

Winchesters work far better with mine.

I also noticed that 'dull thud' the CCI makes, and some of my 'targets' were out like yours, In all directions! :icon_eek:

Back among the winchesters, Sorted! :thumbs:

FYI, Mine doesn't have the band either.

There's a Ruger site somewhere that allows you to download the entire manual, and I'm sure there's a P/No. / Model / Description page in there somewhere.

Same Here,

Winchesters work far better with mine.

I also noticed that 'dull thud' the CCI makes, and some of my 'targets' were out like yours, In all directions! :icon_eek:

Back among the winchesters, Sorted! :thumbs:

FYI, Mine doesn't have the band either.

There's a Ruger site somewhere that allows you to download the entire manual, and I'm sure there's a P/No. / Model / Description page in there somewhere.

I'm glad its not just me having duff rounds in packs of CCI's! I spoke the RFD I bought the gun off and he spoke to th eguy who bought it new apparently he spoke to Ruger who told him he could take the band off without any problems because they don't fit them to the sporter.